Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shooteruspsa

key lime

shooteruspsa
10 years ago

I have a potted key lime and Meyer lemon . I purchased about 6 months ago. They came together as a cocktail tree. Two separate trees in one pot. They have been growing outside since mid may. Lemon tree is dark green and has one 1" lemon on it. Key lime just dropped all leaves and blooms within about a week. We had a period with night lows under 50 degrees. Now temps are back in the 90's. Could that weather have caused the leaf drop? Should I try separating the two trees? If so, when? I am pretty sure I am not over or under watering. First time citrus grower.

Comment (1)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Now would be a good time to separate them. Key limes have a harder time in lower temperature and both need more sunlight than many other citrus trees. Give preference to the meyer lemon tree over the key lime tree. It is probable that you will get more production out of the meyer lemon. Both trees will need supplemental light though the fall and winter to keep the trees healthy.

After separating the plant give the plant a couple of day rest from direct sunlight. Then place the trees in broken sunlight.

I just transplanted my poncirus trifoliata to a larger container and placed it in broken sunlight and it appears to be doing well.

You might want to read up on root pruning (broken roots). Click on link

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg082311393319.html?15