Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Citrus-Tone how often?

Posted by RyanK817 Georgia (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 1:38

I bought a young healthy Key Lime tree earlier this year at Lowe's and potted it in Miracle-Gro Cactus Palm and Citrus soil. It's doing great and has produced a surprising number of blooms. I got some Espoma Citrus-Tone and mixed it into the soil along with a bit of blood meal around the outer edge of the pot's soil to keep the tree healthy as it's fruiting. How often could I fertilize with these two without overdoing it on a young tree? I hear that lime trees are ravenous for soil nutrients and I'm trying to find that balance. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Citrus-Tone how often?

I wish I could say sonething positive about MG soils, but I absolutely detest them! I find that even the cactus/citrus mix is VERY peaty--not a good thing. I do, however, use MG fertilizer formulated for acid-loving plants. I did once purchase and use Citrustone but I don't believe it is formulated for containerized Citrus--though I may be confusing this with Palmtone. (Local nursery must have gotten these by mistake as I believe both are formulated for plants growing in the ground.) I woud be very careful if the product does not give directions for containerized usage.

P.S. I love limes, having both a thornless key lime and the Persian. They seem even more robust for me than oranges and lemons for whatever reason. Had the regular key lime but just could not deal with those thorns and I am a cactus lover too.

o

I like Espoma Citrus Tone; it is 5-2-6, which is pretty good for citrus. Too pricey for my field lemons, but I sometimes use it for my garden trees, especially when they are young; What I buy definitely has instructions for container plants. I also use it mixed with fertile black soil for seed starting for mangos, mangosteens, stuff like that. I have occasionally burned plants with Citrus Tone by putting too much. Follow the package recommmendations.

o

The label tells the amount and the frequency.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here