Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beezee_gw

lime tree not blooming

beezee
18 years ago

key lime grafted ...5yrs old...my suspicion is that it is planted in a bed that has soil ammended with compost and alfalfa...it receives all day nsun and the tree receives citrus fertilizer according to directions...should i add something else to get the bloom/fruit...it is healthy and very green...thanks to all for any input...bz

Comments (23)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

BZ, if your lime is definately grafted, in full sun, and getting proper waterings, then it may need a supplimental feeding. And/or fertile soil..
    I too use a citrus food, but alternate w/an acid fertilizer, 33-11-11 Acid Plus, and a product called Superthrive which is a hormone/50 vitamins. I also use iron 3 times a yr to prevent chlorosis.
    Have you checked the pH of your soil? This is important..You don't want the soil too alkaline or acidic ..6.0-6.9 is required for citrus.
    How is the lime doing otherwise? Have you checked for pests? Has it flowered? Are leaves green? Toni

• beezee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

toni, thnks for your input...to answer your questions..no pests, healthy green leaves, never even a flower...the bed where it is planted has been organic for years so i would assume the soil is neutral or slightly on the acid side...not familiar with your acid fertilizer...would miracid and superthrive be a good additive? bz

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Breeze, it's worth a try..I'd go for it..
    It's inevitable citrus require Nitrogen, but is it possible your tree isn't getting enough Phosphorus?
    Of course, I may be way off, but I find some plants do best with a better 'balanced' diet which helps leaves, flower production and root stimulation. Go for the Miracid and St and let us know if your tree flowers/fruits..Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

Breeze, under fertilization is certainly NOT your trees problem. If you tree was suffering from under fertilization then the tree's leaves would not, of course, be a "healthy and very green". It is not wise to just randomly start adding this fertilizer ingredient, and that ingredient in hopes of coming up with an answer. That could easily make the situation much worse. As you live in the state of Florida, I would be VERY SURPRISED that your tree is lacking phosphorus. Of all the main fertilizer nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium) phosphorus is by far the least required element. You can give it "superthrive" if you wish, but that will not help. Citrus cannot and do not ustilize vitamins. 1. How tall is this tree? 2. Have you done any pruning on the tree? 3.Is this tree growing in the lawn? And if so is the lawn (or other plant life) growing in the root area of the tree? 4. Are there other trees, or bushes growing close to the tree? - Millet

• Laaz
    18 years ago

Hehe... Why is it every thread Toni is pushing ST ? Toni maybe if you contact the admins they will give you your own ST category & we will not have to listen to this BS anymore... Or did they move the citrus belt to chicago & ST is the new secret cure all ? ST has been around for 50 years as you say, so why is there not one bit of evidence that it does anything ? Sure there are claims on their label & website, but when you search the web to validate their claims, not one claim can be validated... Give it up already !

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Since Breeze has provided the best care on his lime, fertilized w/citrus food, set plant in full sun, and planned a careful watering, I don't think additional phosphorus will hurt..as long as it isn't over-applied. I agree Nitrogen is very important maintaining green leaves, but sometimes a balanced food will help with other parts of plants' functions. I talk to ppl who alternate citrus feedings monthly, using acidic food high in Nit, then a blooming type food the following month.
    We've been over the Superthrive issue, and again I disagree. ST stimulates root growth and promotes flowers..not just any flower, but bigger, longer-lasting flowers. Hopefully, those flowers when faded will develope fruits, in Breeze's case, limes. Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

Then Toni, if "superthrive" is the miracle treatment, please explain to me, why it is that "superthrive" is NEVER used by commerical citrus growers on their citrus trees? Never ever! - Millet

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Millet, if you read, typical Reports by Governments and Leading Growers, you'll find a list of professional growers who use it. Including Holland Bulb, which is a huge nursery. There's a whole page to read.
    As for those who don't use it, I can't say..Why don't professional/commercial growers use any product?

• beezee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

millet, the tree is 5ft. tall, never been pruned, planted in an organic bed with the closest vegetation 6ft. away and there isnt anything(mulch) close to the trunk...thanks for the interest..bz

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Laaz, if you consider my posts, as you say, BS, then don't read them..It's that simple..Skip over to the nest post..No one is forced to read a thread, remember that.
    I talk to a good number of people who use ST and they love it. What is there, a handful of ppl here on citrus who dislike it..that's fine, so be it.
    If one doesn't think it works, then by God, don't buy it.
    Those who are unaware it exists, should be informed. I didn't invent it, but find it does wonders for my plants..therefore, as a person who likes helping people, when someone asks what can be be done for a stressed plant, I will advise them to buy ST. Toni

• gatormomx2
    18 years ago

I also live in Florida , have a Persian Lime 6 feet tall , healthy and green located in a grove of 21 citrus trees . It is not blooming at all . Could it be age related ? Weather correlation ? Too little rain ? Too much rain ?
    The lime receives the standard fertilizer schedule as recommended by the University of Florida - Sunniland citrus fertilizer 4 times a year . Not the bogus Super Thrive - I agree that it is a waste of time , energy and $$$$ .
    I think that this lime will do the same as our mystery tree that grew beautifully for many years but never fruited until it was about 10 feet tall . Turned out to be a wonderful white grapefruit that is now a prolific producer and is today 14 feet tall and gives bushels of delicious fruit . Patience and time are key ingredients to citrus production .

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Gatormom, it sounds like you have a *beautiful* example of my favorite citrus! Is it a grafted tree? Where did you get it?

My little 3' Persian Lime shrubs are incredible producers. I also have a "standard" (tree shaped) one in my orchard that is 4' tall and loaded with limes. I suspect that your plant either needs more time/leaf nodes, or it might be a seedling?

As an experiment, you could try removing leaves to stimulate growth and cause a little stress. I noticed that when I remove miner-damaged leaves, the tree responds by blooming, then growing new leaves.

It is a sad day here when all the Persian Limes are picked/used. My only complaint is that there is a short period when we have none to enjoy.

Great trees, and such yummy, yummy fruit! They make the mosr refreshing drinks!

Lisa

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Gator, have you ever used Superthrive? If you had used it maybe your tree would have fruited earlier than having to wait until it was 10' tall..Also, how time and energy is spent on applying 2-4 drops per gallon of water? What does it take, 2 minutes?
    I have over 400 plants, ST and fertilize once a month, and do not consider mixing and feeding a waste of tiime/energy. Toni

• drichard12
    18 years ago

There are many products out there That says they do this and that I stongly suggest that anyone that is interested in them to do a full research in them. There are many outside postings an groups that would help. Dont spend your hard earned money without doing a outside scearch of this fourm..My spelling never was good hope all still understands...Dale

• Millet
    18 years ago

Breeze - Sorry for not getting back to your thread sooner, but I have not forgotten your tree. First, although Key Limes are a smaller variety, (12-ft when mature) your tree seems to be rather small for a 5 year old tree. Couple of things might possibly be causing the slow growing and the fact that a 5 year old Key Lime has not yet fruited. 1). Key limes requires GOOD DRAINAGE and does not tolerate flooded conditions. I don't know the drainage of your soil, so this may or may not apply. 2). And this is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT in your case. Most Key Limes are grown in the south of Florida and the Keys. Key limes require a HIGH TOTAL HEAT REQUIREMENT for fruit production. I'm not sure where exactly you are located, but your informations says zone 8b. Does your area have enough of a high TOTAL heat requirement for a Key Lime to regulary fruit? Is the tree growing in the hottest place in your yard? Most grafted Key Limes will start to fruit in the second or third year. From the information given, everything else seems OK. - Millet

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

meh. Mine are young, but ill have to put them in the oven at that rate ;-)

• beezee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

millet...thanks for your feedback...the tree came from south florida...i live at the fla/ga border in fernandina beach...sun and drainage are optimal...will wait another year and see...bz

• tamstrees
    18 years ago

I wish there was an easy answer. FYI Millet we have grafted keylimes producing in the first year, no problem.

Anyhow, we have a batch of 7 gallon trees we picked up from a different grower and not one single flower or green fruit which is kind of odd, I think this time of year. I'm going to play around with them and see what makes them pop. It's warm enough, they drain well, etc.

I think citrus will do that..skip a season now and then. I've seen it happen with trees potted from 7 to 15. They don't really go into shock, flush out nicely but skip a growing season.

I'm not sure about Superthrive honestly. I also not sure that citrus doesn't take in supplements but I do know that we've been spraying Megagro, a foliar spray on everything with good results. Then again the bees were extra active this year.

Toni, we used superthrive but found that it wasn't working for us on an ongoing basis. If I was transplanting I might soak the roots in it but I can't honestly swear that it makes a difference. Many people swear by it and every sitution is a factor.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tam, I don't want this to become a big issue, (again) lol..The thing is some ppl like ST and others don't..I visit a few other forums, and this topic leads to debates as it does here in Citrus forum.
    Also, there are people who feel the same way about ferilizers..any type of fertilizer..They say it's a waste time and money, therefore plants do not need it, plain and simple. Of course I disagree with this, but they really get into discussing why fertilizer isn't required..
    Their reason is, if a plant is potted in correct soil, then added food isn't necessary. I agree about using the right soil, and even refreshing (on top) every yr, but 3-4 yrs after a plant is potted, it loses its nutrients. And if a plant isn't either repotted or at the minimum, added new soil, depending on the plant and pot size, most plants will die, or won't perform as it once did.
    An example is, I've a hoya that would bloom several times througout the yr. It's my opinion, the hoya does best is shallow pots. The first 5 years, it bloomed profusely. I fed, but infrequently, not to mention kept in its same shallow pot w/old soil..the hoya hasn't bloomed in 2 yrs..now I've put it on a regular feeding schedule, added sT, and sprinkled new soil atop old. I'm hoping to see a change. Toni

• tamstrees
    18 years ago

lol- no darling not an issue really. Just my experience and feed back.

• aslan89
    11 years ago

Well superthrive can only do so much, expecially when diluted as much as the directions direct you to do. I use about 1/4 tsp per gallon when I use it. I don't know about the vitamins but I did research myself in my plant physiology lab with plant hormones and they definitely work. ST has an auxin as an active ingredient. I always tell the non-believers to take two potted plants and only treat one with ST so you can see the difference. I even use pure GA3, which is another plant hormone, on my gardenias. It does several things but the most notable of them being stem elongation.

The trick with superthrive though is that it is supposed to be used in conjunction with fertilizer as it supposedly helps plants absorb nutrients better. It's not a fertilizer itself, you still have to fertilize unless you have great soil.

I don't know why people hate ST so much, it really does work. I can even give you the contact info for my professor, Dr. Kuang, who has a doctorate in plant physiology so that she can tell you it works lol. She even designed several experiments that have been on the international space station and worked at NASA for ten years. You don't really need to know all that but I just want to be clear that she knows her field very well. We even spent several lectures in class just discussing different plant hormones and their effects on plants.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

Could the issue be too much fertizilation?

A common method is to only feed trees that bloom and fruit.

• tnduelist
    10 years ago

I have a similar problem, my lime flowers all the time, and produces little limes about the size of the last joint of your little finger...then they fall off not getting any bigger. suggestions?

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area