Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Dear Rhizo, specifically needing your suggestions:-)

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Hello dear friend!

Ok, I am getting pretty gusty these last few days because of your good judgement, advice, and encouragement, maybe to late for this season?....

You helped me realize on one of my other threads, the importance of pruning the roots for my trees and I severely want to keep them in tip top shape knowing full well that the roots system should be tended to just as equally as what is above the soil line...

Because of your encouragement, I have finally pruned the roots to my 'Fragrant Olive' tree after a couple of years debating it to myself, and a bit of laziness...

Now comes the best part, my most favorite 'Navel Orange Tree'....... I think I may have waited to late into the season?

It is in a pot that does not allow me to stick my finger in it any longer.
It dries out just about every day even through the fall.
It is loaded with fruit and one big sized orange at the moment.
It seems to be doing fine and putting on new growth along with buds at this time again.
Some one said" why fix it if it not broken?"
It's about 4 feet tall from tall.
The pots it is in is clay 5 gallon.
Trunk is 3 inches in diameter...
It seems very healthy at this point.

Now,Is this a bad time to root prune?
Should I wait until next year?
Should I wait until the fruit has been picked?
Could I get away with leaving in this pot for one more year?

I don't want to go up in size pot, since this pot is already almost to heavy to carry, unless of course I go plastic...

This one will be planted in the 'Fafard Nursery MIx', mostly comprised of bark and a small bit of peat. I will be adding the perlite.

Most of my plants and trees I just keep potting up, but there comes a point where one must stop, you know what I mean?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you could walk me through this process, even more!
I will take pics as I go along with you to demonstrate your good advice and my respect for your good knowledge of trees and their systems..

Hoping you will help and hoping all is well with you..

Thank you)

Mike

Oops. almost forgot the pics! It is on the sunny side of my property abutting my neighbors house in a driveway next to my shed...

{{gwi:611506}}

{{gwi:611508}}

{{gwi:611510}}

{{gwi:611511}}

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 8:00

Comments (5)