Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Citrus Success?

Posted by cdevoe 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 7:55

Hello...I'm a forum newbie. I was wondering if anyone has had noticeable/quantifiable success with citrus under LED grow lights. Perhaps this had been covered in the past and I apologize if it has. We're off-grid and could not use anything of higher wattage but I am looking to somewhat supplement our very overcast winters here in upstate NY.

Thanks!

Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Citrus Success?

I use a ceramic basement style socket with a CFL for cost reasons. You can use an LED instead. For best results use a bulb that directs its light downward. My buckets are aluminium lined and have proven to be extremely effective. You can use trash cans for your light setup. I also use a box grow system you can see using the Youtube link below

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaASoeaBErs

o

For my trees when they out grew the simple bucket lights, see link below. A pic of 1 of my 3 sweetlee tangerine tree from seed. They are all 18 months old at the time of picture and are all equivalent in size

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/sunshine2013?sort=4&page=1

o

Wow...impressive...and cost effective. Thanks for sharing. It seems a cfl has a good enough lighting spectrum. Do you use special "daylight" bulbs?

o

I use daylight bulb. It makes a difference. You will have no need for grow lights. They are excessively over priced and balance the spectrum by blocking some light in certain frequencies.

The main advantage in LED's over CFL's is that the LED bulbs emit light in one direction, so if you get a flood lamp all the light is sent in an aimed direction. That light that goes a stray will be bounced back by the foil lined bucket wall. The fact that the use a little less electric than CFL's is only 10%-15%. That small percentage is probably much more important to you than cost.

If you plan to use lamps with out the enclosure. LED's Are the only way to go despite price difference.

Last, you can use the lights to go on at sunset and go off at 12 midnight to augment the lack of direct sunlight. This also works well. See picture of window welled in by curtain with LED over plant Have a white shade in the window to pull so that it reflects the LED light back onto the tree. The pot should also not be in the window or the root area will get to cold

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here