Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grubs!

Posted by veggie_girl 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 8:26

My plants are all outside for the summer. This weekend, I pulled a weed from one of the pots and up came a grub with it. I repotted the tree and found more in there as well. Luckily, I think I caught it in time before it killed the tree.

So now I'm worried about all my other potted trees/plants, and I have LOTS of them, as I know we all do, and do not want to lose any to grubs. Should I pull them all out of the soil and give them a check or is there something else I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grubs!

quickest and easiest way is to use a liquid pesticide.

o

Where do you live?
Any chance of an image f the "grub?"

o

Option 1) pull and pick them out (you have a decent chance of getting most of them) - feed them to the birds... they love them!
Option 2) Apply Imidacloprid. there is a variety of products out there - check the labels.
I use multiple products and the amount depends on if the plant is fruiting/bearing, blooming or just pushing new leaves. I have even had success with Bayer Grub control for lawns. Caution though, this stuff has N so i do NOT recommend it for potted plants.

o

I live in the Ozarks. The link below has what they look like. Is there anything organic I can add to the pots? Otherwise, I guess I will pull them all out and inspect them and repot in new soil if found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grub image

o

The only organic solution I can think of would be beneficial nematodes. I think they work on soil grubs, but I'm not positive. You can buy them. But I don't know if they work in pots. Usually they're used in the ground.

They usually invade lawns, not very common in pots I think, but obviously it can happen.

Here's an article about them in your neck of the woods, hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: white grubs, Kentucky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here