Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Satsuma

Posted by vanman23 6b/7a - OK (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 9:31

I've had this tree for a little over a year. It was doing well with some fruit this spring, but in early summer, the penny sized fruit shriveled up and turned black. Now it looks like this. The Persian lime behind it looks well. There are some ants on it. There are also some bumps on the branches and leaves. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

This post was edited by vanman23 on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 19:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Satsuma

Bumps on leaves with ants.

o

Bumps on branch. Also note fungus on leaves?

o

COVERED in scale. Badly infested. Not getting nearly enough water, or, possibly in poorly draining potting mix and getting water logged. Treat for scale, and determine the moisture level with the roots to decide if you're over watering or under watering. I'm assuming these are in pots, so what kind of potting medium did you use, how often are you watering and how are you determining whether or not your trees need to be watered, and how often are you fertilizing?

Patty S.

o

Neem Oil for scale. spray in evening when the following few days will be below 85F or cloudy is best

o

Don't flame me for this, but what about imidacloprid. There's no fruit on it now. There are no blossoms. I'm not an organic gardener, but I don't want to put any more chemical in me either.

I've also read that it is the most widely used insecticide in the world so it must be in a lot of foods we eat already. (Not that that makes it OK).

Seems to me, I can use it to get rid of the infestation and then use the Neem oil when I need to combat future (hopefully smaller) infestations. I don't think I'll be getting fruit for a least a year.

o

You might give Neem a try first and if that's not working move to imidacloprid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here