Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Algae problem in Soil, buying gritty mix / 511 on net

Posted by Asrar none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 9:53

Hi, I changed and re pot Meyer lemon with citrus soil in may which I bought from local plant house. I am giving fertilizer and my plant is looking fine, holding fruit and blooming . But for last couple of weeks It is raining and getting humid and soil has hard time to dry, I noticed there is fine layer of Algae on soil. Just wondering it is bad in short or long term. Soil was low quality ? What is that white mark on stem just above soil ?

I read a lot about gritty mix and 511 here but I can not buy it in Europe. I live in northern Europe and I am wondering which soil type would be good how i can purchase it online ? I noticed these potting mix need fertilizers, which one can buy on amazon or ebay, Right :) ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Algae problem in Soil, buying gritty mix / 511 on net

I believe it is the buttress at the transaction between the rootstock and the Meyer lemon scion.

I could be the buttress above a whorl of roots on a rooted cutting.. they can be a different color in the transition from buttress to the final trunk diameter.

o

Thx for the reply. Hope this buttress is normal thing ? And what about algae, do i have to change soil ?

o

Hello....If that is the only soil mix you have access to then I would make sure the no bigger than an inch or less of the root ball...

When you choose a pot for that mix, there should only be enough room for your finger to fit between the pot and the root ball...This way it will dry out faster..

You could also use a wick through the bottom which will help draw moisture out and help the mix to dry..

If left like that, you will loose that tree within a year, especially through the winter.

What is the ingredients on the bag of that soil? Don't they sell perlite there? Bark mulch? Bark?

Mike

o

You are right Mike, I noticed in my soil there is too much peat or very fine bark mulch and very little grit or perlite stuff. I should search in the market for perlite and bark stuff otherwise I will order from Amazon
511(Bark (1/8-1/4 in) + Miracle Grow perlite + Miracle grow peat moss + Dyna gro foliage pro liquid ) Right :) ?

OR

Gritty mix 1:1:1 (Bark + Grit + turface + Dyna gro foliage pro liquid ) :) ??
Will Clay Pot makes difference in moisture control or Algae Control ?
Thanks a lot for saving the plants of whole planet :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here