Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't a mature blood orange tree bloom?

Posted by ebbykay zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 10:06

I consider it mature, it has been in the ground for about 6 or 7 years. It was in bloom when we bought it, but has failed to bloom again. At first my husband would fertilize it in the spring for several years and nothing. Then for the past few years, he quit fertilizing it. Still nothing. It gets lots of sunshine.

He wants to do away with it, but I protest and say that at least the butterflys get to lay their eggs on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't a mature blood orange tree bloom?

Wrong fertilizer. You need a fert. that is low in N and higher in P & K. Typically a fert. advertised for flowering plants. Apply in winter just before the rains or if no rain slow drip the fertilizer into the plant.

By the way if that citrus tree in the lawn remove the grass out past the drip line of the tree. Lawns are death on plants as it consumes water and ferilizers before it gets to the tree. Keep the soil covered with small bark mulch and the soil just moist. Trust me on this (: one.

o

Thanks Rose, I'll tell my husband what you said. I had already read that today about the grass, but will make sure he listens this time.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 7:00

Does your blood orange tree show signs of growth each year, new branches, leaves...is it getting larger every year? Using citrus/avocado fertilizer would definitely help it, and I agree that fertilizing for blooms might be called for here...it's unnatural that there would be no blooms on this tree for 6 years. Is someone pruning this tree?

You didn't say what kind of blood orange you have, but tell your husband that the Tarocco blood orange tree I had produced the best tasting oranges I've ever eaten. Well worth waiting for.

jc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here