Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

soil

Suzy11
10 years ago

Hi I am repotting my baby Meyer and a mini rose bush, what do you think of Organic Mechanic.

Comments (5)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Suizi...

To many fine ingredienst for my liking that will only compact ina very short time and suffocate the roots of my trees..

If it were to be a heavier weight consisting more bark than anything, then I might consider...

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, mike :) what do you think about adding bark?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you think of Natures Way?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Suzy....Using mixes can be all relative in where you live a kind of thing, how you water, your light and temps, size pots, kind of plants, and environment they are subjected too. You would be the best judge of that.

In other words, for my cool climate and long winters, I would only use a mix with very little fines of anything and lots and lots of bark and perlite..

I know others that add a bit more fines and compost to theirs in area a bit hotter than my area for temporary pottings.

The 1.1.1 gritty mix and 5.1.1 are pretty much universal for everyone and a guide because they offer awesome drainage, root aeration and good structure. If this is the type of mix you need for your trees to be healthy, to grow to their best potential, then you can get or make something similar.

But if you are not worried about mixes that drain well, or that have lot's of fine particles like these one you mention, because of your growing technique or environment, then try them....

The good thing about mixes out there is that you are not limited to just one or two mixes, but thousands of them. You can experiment with your own homemade one, amend some to fit your needs, or use some straight from the bag, but in the end, your trees will let you know what is best for them, trust me..

My plants have told me after years, that the ones you are looking into are not what they thrive in unless I amend them with 80% more bark and perlite.....In other words, one part fines, the mixes you speak of, one part perlite and 5 parts bark are pretty much perfect for my trees..

Hope all this makes sense for you:-) Have a good day.

MIke

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike yes I understand what you're saying. You gave me good information I never know about. Thank you. Finding the right Soil can be very frustrating. I live in Central Pennsylvania so I'm not that much different Massachusetts. How do your trees tell you what they need?