Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baconquest

Around My Garden: Citrus Update

baconquest
10 years ago

Hello All!

FINALLY had a break in the action and I've been able to snap pictures of my citrus outdoors. I moved all of my citrus from my steamy front porch (covered with a lot of sun) to my yard, where they are getting a solid 14 hours of direct sun a day. I haven't seen much change in the overall health of my citrus just yet, but they seemed to have fared the adjustment just fine.

My Meyer had exploded with new growth back in late May, and got a funky shape to it. Since then it seems like its stagnated despite proper watering and feeding with FP. Just today I decided to prune it back in attempts to get some shape to it and maybe encourage some growth. Here's the before and after:

Before:
{{gwi:613280}}

After:
{{gwi:613284}}

Here is my Meiwa Kumquat. Beautiful dark green leaves and loaded with fruit, but STILL stagnant in terms of branch/leaf growth. Concerning, but the tree seems otherwise happy. No suckers or anything of that nature either...

{{gwi:613288}}

{{gwi:613292}}

Finally, my Kaffir Lime, which is doing great! It was a twig when I got it in April and has had a good flush of growth. It looks oddly shaped but I'm letting it do whatever it wants to do. I just potted this up to the 8" with gritty and its responding well. There's a lot of nodes that are swelling on it, I think it'll have another flush before this season's over.

{{gwi:613297}}

Although I always wish they were doing better, I'm convinced the only reason I haven't killed them is because of the Gardenweb community!! Thank you all so much for your help, and I would love to see what you guys think and how I can be doing a better job with them!

Thanks,

Mike B

This post was edited by baconquest on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 7:27

Comments (4)