Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf key lime leaf drop

Posted by aadepa none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 11:58

I recently purchased from an online catalog a dwarf key lime. It was doing fine but suddenly it is dropping its leaves. The leaves are still a dark green with no spots or blemishes. They just fall off. There is some new growth ans light green leaves that have emerged but it is still losing a lot of leaves daily. I water when the soil is dry, and I have an inch of pebble in the bottom of the pot for drainage. I have started misting the leaves to see if that helps. Please help! It is an indoor potted plant as I am in the Midwest and going through a drought and heat wave. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf key lime leaf drop

Picture of the tree.

o
RE: dwarf key lime leaf drop

Your plant actually looks really healthy. Citrus likes a lot of sunlight and hate wet feet. Make sure you let the roots dry out a little before watering. You should check the drainage holes on the bottom of your container before watering. Feel the potting soil through the drainage holes and if it is still wet or very moist, you may have been overwatering and possibly causing leaf drop. The leaf drop may have also been caused by the stresses of shipping.

Members of this citrus forum highly recommend the Gritty mix or 5-1-1 mix for citrus, I forgot which one. The potting soil should have very good drainage. Commercial potting soils often contain too much organic matter which holds excessive amounts of moisture which eventually causes root rot and death of the plant.
Simon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here