Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my co rrhi zal your cit rus tree Ha lle lu jah

Posted by poncirusguy micro(Z-6.8; AHS-8) (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 12:01

Is there any benefit to use of mycorrhizal fungi when the citrus trees are in containers.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my co rrhi zal your cit rus tree Ha lle lu jah

Mycorrhizal fungi occur naturally in most undisturbed soils; but I would think not in container mixes; so if you think they are beneficial... and I do... why not add them.

o

Johnmerr Thanks for getting back on this. I'll go ahead and try some on 2 of 4 sweet lee tangerine trees

o

Citrus planted in situ are quite dependant upon their mycorrhizal relationship with specific soil borne fungi. But it is a specific interrelationship and will only occur if the appropriate fungal inoculents are available. Citrus make arbuscular mycorrhizae within the actual fine roots (root hairs).

The response to inoculation in containers is highly variable, even if the correct fungal propagules are integrated into the mix. Too much can be bad. One has to be careful to use appropriate fertilizers.

In containers, where the nutrient and water supply depends upon humans and the entire root system is held hostage, so to speak, the benefits might be obscure. Increased heat, cold, and drought tolerances might be noticeable.

The bottom line.....research the inoculant before buying. One size does not fit all. And do not use the product like a fertilizer nor should you expect the same results.

Most experts would say that mycorrhizal relationships are essential to good citrus production....when planted in the ground. This would be especially so in over worked, over fertilized, over drenched or sprayed soils. Some fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, and insecticides damage beneficial soil microoganisms, including the types of fungi that may form mycorrhizae.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here