Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgross57

Meyer Lemon New Leaves Curling

jgross57
18 years ago

Hi, I hope you can help identify the problem with my Meyer Lemon Tree. It is only 3 years old, and this year was full and has many good sized lemons. But new growth (which is prolific) is curled up and while green has some whitish residue. I tried trimming and disposing but same type of regrowth. Any advice? My Meyer is planted near a Magnolia tree.

Comments (12)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Jgross, is the white residue something you can scrape off or does it look like the plant was sprayed w/a chemical/fertilizer, etc, then left to dry?
    Does the Magnolia have this same residue? Toni

• Tropical_Beduin
    18 years ago

Go to http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/LeafMiner.htm
    MrTexas' website.
    I think this is the stuff you are talking about because I have it too. I didn't until I bought a new citrus at the nursery.

• jgross57
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hopefulauthor, the white residue can be scraped off, but it is not heavy (looks like it could have been sprayed on).
    No problems or residue on the nearby Magnolia....mentioned it because I thought maybe the Magnolia is pulling water and/or nutrients from the Meyer.

Beduin, I guess I am an internet moron, can't reach referenced site. I will take a picture and post.

• Tropical_Beduin
    18 years ago

Look up citrus leaf miner, it's just a guess but I'm having the same trouble with all my citrus, it's sucks cause it's all on the new growth, makes them look retarded

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tropical, I've heard others' mention their citrus were infested with leaf miners..I was thinking either miners or mealy bug.
    LOL, they look retarded?
    JGross, does the white look like residue or cottony patches? If patches, there's a chance it's got mealy. I hope it's not mealy for this insect will spread to other plants, and unless treated, will kill a tree.
    Of what I read, LM's do not harm the plant, but will deform leaves..still who wants 'retarded' leaves..LOL..Oh that's awful..What an adjective!

• Tropical_Beduin
    18 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure that's whats going on with mine,and I live here in Houston, I've tried trimming too, the new growth comes back the same. "deformed" or "retarded", the new growth looks curled up, and has whitish silver residue on it.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tropical, then it sounds like leaf miners. Have you checked out sites that sell insecticides? If you're interested, try www.gardensalive.com
    Whether or not they're harmful to citrus, who wants a tree w/insects of any types? Especially if it deforms the leaves. Good luck..Toni

• Tropical_Beduin
    18 years ago

Thanks Toni, I look at the website, I've been so busy, but I'll probably spray these plants Saturday.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tropical, I'll check out my plant books and see what they recommend using for LM'ers. I don't think you want to use harsh chemicals, right? I wouldn't apply anything harmful that I was going to eat.
    Since this is one pest I've never dwelt with, and hope I don't, can you catch these critters? or are they fast? I don't know anything about these bugs, except they deform leaves..Toni

• jgross57
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all,

in response to your helpful replies, the meyer does not have mealy bugs, and if the problem is leaf miners....would it look different than on other plants? In my experience,
    leaf miners leave a very clear white trail marking. The
    white on these leaves is more a coating, and the leaves are very thin (but then new leaves). Will try spraying.

• Tropical_Beduin
    18 years ago

I spray at least once a week with neem oil, or a horticultural oil, it didn't do much good. I don't know as much as I want to know about Citrus. Leafminers leave a trail, not a coating, from the little that I know.
    I didn't have this problem until I bought a new satsuma. It's either that or that these insects are more prevalent in the fall. I did fertilize kind of late, so that just makes things worse for me, in that there are more tender leaves for these bugs to produce.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Tropical, in many cases bringing in a new plant is the cause of developing bugs.
    2 years ago I ordered plants (via mail) and didn't inspect them. A month later, 95% of my plants had white fly..they were everywhere. Upstairs, on the main floor. No matter what I used (I won't use harsh chemicals) those critters wouldn't die. I finally went to gardensalive.com and found sticky traps..they're fantastic traps for flying or fast moving insects. Within a month or less they were gone. You should have seen those traps though, they were packed w/white fly. The traps are reusalbe too, but you have to buy a glue called Tanglefoot, and clean the yellow traps w/veggie oil. I bought more for back up, in case. Toni