Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily100_gw

Meyer Lemon UK plant leaf problems

lily100
9 years ago

I wondered if anyone can help me sort out my lemon plant.

We bought it last February and it was fine until the following April.

Then it started developing these strange streaks on the leaves. I have looked at other photos of people's lemon trees and the discolouration looks different to when it has been over/underwatered.

It did have mealy bug, but I think I have got rid of that.

A lot of the new leaves have also curled up and do not look healthy.

We have had loads of flowers and have some good lemons developing :) but the plant looks very sickly.

I follow watering instructions and let it dry out before watering through. I have used a nitrogen based feed throughout the summer and it has been in a sunny, hot room or on the balcony.

If anyone could advise me I would be most grateful.
Thanks, Lily

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

What did you use or do go get rid of the mealy bugs?

Honestly, I can't say I recall seeing that pattern of leaf damage on any plant.

• lily100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi njoasis,
    I went over the plant with a cotton bud and Vodka and removed them by hand. I keep checking over it, but can't see any more.

I did think maybe it was sun damage?! But this doesn't seem in keeping with their native environment. I did have it in a very hot room behind a window. I moved it afterwards to see if it would help, but it hasn't.

I have also watered it sometimes with tap water. I am not sure how sensitive they are to tap water chemicals, but I thought maybe this may be the issue.

I have attached another pic

Thanks for reading :)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Looks like you have applied some chemical when the temperature is too high.

• User
    9 years ago

Sorry, clueless here.

Are the NEW leaves coming out like that too?

You're right, Citrus are sun lovers...more the better! As far as heat, they can take that too. Maybe it was too much vodka. LOL.

• lily100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses, definitely no spraying of chemicals in it though! New leaves coming out with curling and some of this yellow brown. Hopefully I didn't overdose on vodka LOL! Thanks again, it seems to be a mystery!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Oh my. I'm thinking you may have applied the vodka with a q-tip? This is clearly some kind of chemical burn, and I'm thinking it was the vodka. I have never heard of removing mealy bugs with liquor. Clearly, you've burned your poor little tree with vodka. Where on earth did you hear to do that? You're much better off using a hard blast of water to knock off as many as you can, then spray with an insecticidal soap. Good grief. As far as the new growth, it could be due to very immature mealy bug infestation. I would suggest treating your tree more carefully, and with appropriate methods.

Patty S.

• lily100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Patty, I feel suitably told off! LOL. I actually read this advice on this website. I didn't spray the plant. I put a tiny amount on a cotton bus/q tip and removed each individual bug from the fork of the branch. There weren't even that many! It didn't touch the leaves! I don 't use insecticides.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I think perhaps you've mixed up the kind of alcohol you can drink with rubbing alcohol? Two different things entirely. You can clearly see that you applied the Vodka with a cotton-tipped applicator (we call them Q Tips here, kind of like calling facial tissues, "Kleenex", Q Tip is a brand, and it has become the name for a cotton tipped applicator here in the USA). And, there are many great, organic insecticides that will do a much better and safer job than this :-) So, arm yourself with some insecticidal soaps, and use that instead of vodka, and you're plants will be much happier.

Patty S.

• User
    9 years ago

We all make gardening mistakes! My dumbest was once spending an afternoon planting my garden of tomatoes, eggplant and chile peppers in nice little rows, then fertilizing with...

'Weed an' feed'. The next morning my plants were all dead; then I realized my mistake. Ever since then, I almost never use poisons or insecticides in gardening. As said above, forceful application of water is great for getting rid of bugs. I do also insecticidal soap. Rubbing alcohol with a q-tip is fine too but save the vodka for yourself! LOL.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH