Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long will these take to ripen?

Posted by andrew78 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 12:49

Wow, I know it has been a VERY long time since I posted here. Since my departure, I have sadly lost my 6ft tall Meyer due to slippery mold:( Very devastated over that loss! But that wasn't the only casulty. I lost 3 or 4 other tropical fruit trees, the worst being my 'Day' avocado, which would have been fruiting this year, and my grafetd 'Fino de Jete' cherimoya.

My Oro Blanco grapefruit on the other hand is doing VERY well in the gritty mix. Right now, it's holding onto 3 fruits that are slightly larger than a grapefruit.

Also, I won the citrus contest from Four Winds...YAHOOO!!! I chose a seedless Washington navel and tisk tisk, planted it in straight potting soil!! I know, I know....IT"S A CARDiNAL SIN!! LMAO!! But this weekend it will be coming back out and repotted. That tree believe it or not has done pretty darn well.

Our summer has been HOT and dry. We have finally caught up on the rains so now more than ever it needs repotting.

My question for the ORo Blanco growers is, How long will it take for these fruits to ripen? I chose this variety for a reason. It was described as not needing the high heat levels to ripen the fruits. I don't worry about that too much as it will go right back under the 600 watt HPS light.

So maybe another 4 months or so? I just hope the HPS is enough to keep the fruits tasting like the sweet grapefruits I am hoping for, and not a sour lemon!

Take care everyone, and Mike, I hope that foot is healing up for ya!
Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long will these take to ripen?

Hey, Andrew. First, congrats on winning the citrus contest at Four Winds. Dang, didn't know they even had a contest, pooh. Will have to watch for the next one. Well, Oro Blanco. One of our top grapefruit hybrid choices where I live, along with it's first cousin, Melogold (which I actually prefer a wee bit over Oro Blanco), and the not to miss Cocktail, which is heavenly, sweet, no bitter aftertaste and has the same growing requirements as the first two. My Oro Blanco which is in the ground ripens between January and March, depending upon weather conditions, but tends to be sweeter the longer I leave it on the tree, so I usually star picking them in March. If they're not sweet enough, I wait another few weeks. They hold really well on the tree.

Patty S.

o
RE: How long will these take to ripen?

Thanks Patty,
I almost bought the Cocktail but I didn't like all the seeds the fruit I ate had. I bought some again just to see if the fruit I ate was just seedier than the others but again, they were VERY seedy so I went with the ORo.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here