Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

How long will these take to ripen?

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

Wow, I know it has been a VERY long time since I posted here. Since my departure, I have sadly lost my 6ft tall Meyer due to slippery mold:( Very devastated over that loss! But that wasn't the only casulty. I lost 3 or 4 other tropical fruit trees, the worst being my 'Day' avocado, which would have been fruiting this year, and my grafetd 'Fino de Jete' cherimoya.

My Oro Blanco grapefruit on the other hand is doing VERY well in the gritty mix. Right now, it's holding onto 3 fruits that are slightly larger than a grapefruit.

Also, I won the citrus contest from Four Winds...YAHOOO!!! I chose a seedless Washington navel and tisk tisk, planted it in straight potting soil!! I know, I know....IT"S A CARDiNAL SIN!! LMAO!! But this weekend it will be coming back out and repotted. That tree believe it or not has done pretty darn well.

Our summer has been HOT and dry. We have finally caught up on the rains so now more than ever it needs repotting.

My question for the ORo Blanco growers is, How long will it take for these fruits to ripen? I chose this variety for a reason. It was described as not needing the high heat levels to ripen the fruits. I don't worry about that too much as it will go right back under the 600 watt HPS light.

So maybe another 4 months or so? I just hope the HPS is enough to keep the fruits tasting like the sweet grapefruits I am hoping for, and not a sour lemon!

Take care everyone, and Mike, I hope that foot is healing up for ya!

Andrew

Comments (2)