Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_man73

need advice: dwarf citrus in greenhouse in mountains!

Mountain-Man
10 years ago

Hi All.

New to gardening and so far love it! Long story short I'm selling my house in the city in Orange County California and moving to my cabin in the SoCal Mountains zone 9.

I have a plastic black bucket potted dwarf citrus orchard consisting of more than 20 varieties of oranges, mandarins, tangerines, tangelos, grapefruit, pomelos, etc. that I'm moving to a greenhouse that I will build very efficient (dual pane windows, seal, screen vented etc. I want to keep warm and healthy all night long during the winter months.

Right now during the summer I am watering them every other day and they seem to like it. What are your thoughts on a watering schedule during the winter? Once per week ok or will they need more?

Also as far as heat goes would an oil-filled radiator type electric floor heater and a small fan to circulate be sufficient or do they need something larger like multiple fan-type personal heaters? (I guess time will tell.)

What would be the optimal temperature to keep the greenhouse during the winter? 50 degrees good?

I have greenhouse controllers and humidifiers I will hook everything up to and keep the humidity between 45-60 I think is correct.

I'm asking for anyone with experience with doing what I'm about to setup so share tips and pointers with me so I have a little advantage on being successful. (Technical aspects of keeping a dwarf citrus orchard in a greenhouse in a cold climate during winter)

Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

I am humble to you all on your expertise!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012