Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow Indio Mandarinquat Kumquat?

Posted by olympia_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 13:35

This plant is supposed to be kumquat hybrid with orange. Don't know how, but it is what said. Great concept, larger size friut but still maitain kumqaut flavor. But I am wondering if anyone have grown this plant and had tasted the fruits. I am looking for first hand expereinces and comments on how easy to grow this plant; any special care requirements; how many fruits a tree can fruit, my regular kumqaut tree grows a treefull of kumqauts, I am wondering if this plant does the same; The flavor of the fruits; etc. ect... Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow Indio Mandarinquat Kumquat?

I have one Olympia. It is probably a cross between a Nagami kumquat and some unknown mandarin (it was a chance seedling found under a Nagami kumquat tree.) It is a tall tree, FULL of fruit, just like a kumquat or a calamondin. Fruit tastes much like a kumquat (which I'm not a fan of, but for those that are, they like them very much). Easy to grow, similar requirements as a kumquat, cold tolerant. Interesting tree. Dr. Kahn at the UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection likes them.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Indio Mandarinquat

o

Hi, Patty, Thank you for the information and the UCR link. Actually, your too many Meyer post made my hands itch or mouth watering for something tasting. I am a big fan of kumquats. love the balanced sweet/tart flavor. The fruit can be tossed into mouth like cherry tomatoes right off the tree.
you mentioned calamondine here. I have see it was called Phillipine lime. Does fully ripe calamondine taste like kumquats? I have never had calamodine fruits. I am just curious. Can calamodine fruits be eaten like kumquats? I have a kumquat that was called Phillippine kumquat by the person who gave it to me, but I have never heard any kumquat is called Phillpine kumquat anywhere. I suspect it might be the phillipean lime, which is the calamodine.

o

Ah, not so much. They are much, much tarter than kumquats, but I hear they make a nice marmalade. I have a row of 5 variegated calamondins that are ornamentals for me. I don't use the fruit. They are a very pretty landscaping tree. They are round, about the size of a large, but round kumquat. Smaller than a ping pong ball. And a very pretty tree.

Patty S.

o

I've grown this for many years as an ornamental. Makes very pretty but very sour fruit. It is a juicy citrus unlike the kumquat. IMHO is it not edible out of hand unless you like eating lemons out of hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

o

IMHO calamondin is not edible out of hand, way too sour. I don't like the marmalade it makes either.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

o

I have a ten year old Indio on FD rootstock and it makes a very pretty tree. It's in my wifes front flower bed and during the winter the fruit is very showy. Taste wise, it is not very edible. My only use is to throw a few in my mixed marmalade's for color.

I like to fresh squeeze my calamondin over fish/shrimp dishes. Other than that I don't use them much for anything else, other than one of my friends likes them in his mixed drinks.

o

Hi, all . Thanks for sharing all the info. about both trees.

o

Hi, all . Thanks for sharing all the info. about both trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here