Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtn9480

Meyer Lemon Help - dropping flowers and leaves

Jtn9480
9 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post, so if this is in the wrong place let me know!

So I was given a 3-4' Meyer about 4 months ago. Upon arrival it was full of leaves and looked phenomenal! After a month I repotted as the plastic one it came in was crunched from shipping. I used a 12' plastic pot with Miracle Grow cactus / citrus mix as suggested on here. The pot has 4 holes at the base and I put small rocks in the bottom (size of 0.5 a fist or a little smaller). I then lined the pot with weed proof fabric from Home Depot and repotted. The whole idea of this setup was drainage, as I was new to this type of plant and didn't want any root rot.

Since then the plant started to bud! It had so many flowers I was astonished. Then, the buds turned yellow and died ands dropped. It also started to drop leaves at this time. They would curl up and fall off. It has gone through this process of blooming and dropping leaves flowers 3 times and I have no idea why!

The tree has about 40 leaves left; .333 of what it started with! I try and water it when it "needs it" based on a wetness gauge I bought. I typically let the base of the pot show dry before watering it with about a cup or two of water and mist the leaves a few times a week.

Now I realize that this may seem like I am under watering but previously, especially when it first bloomed, I felt like I was over watering due to curling leaves..

Basically I am at a loss. Clearly I have yet to get the hang of caring for it! Any help is appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator