Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanderson15_gw

Recently pruned.... any advice welcomed! !!

NANDERSON15
9 years ago

Hi I'm Nikki, I've recently pruned my 1 yr old Meyer lemon tree and it's beginning today branch out. I'm a newbie and I'm just wondering if my tree is doing well or not or if there's anything I could be doing to get better results. Thanks in advance for your helpful advice! !'

Comments (8)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

You tree looks nice. These trees are heavy nitrogen feeders and like a 5-1-2 N-P-K feed. I took the liberty of turning you tree upright an it appears to have grown quit a bit.

Steve

• NANDERSON15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gee thanks a lot! I had a terrible time trying to post it upright, I just gave up! Thanks for your input, I'm checking my fertilizer now.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Nan, most of the container folks on our list prefer to use Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro. You can fertilize with every watering full strength, then, during the winter months when you bring your tree inside, and growth slows down, you can cut the fertilizer to 1/2 strength. It has the proper NPK ratio or very close to it, along with all the micronutrients as well. Also, be sure you've got a very well draining potting mix. Our forum has a nice recipe called "511". You can search the forum for the recipe if you need to switch up your potting medium.

Patty S.

• NANDERSON15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry you guys, I have no Idea how to reply back to a specific person... could someone pleeeeease assist me with that? Anyway thanks @hoosierquilt ..... I'll look up that formula as well as the fertilizer!

• NANDERSON15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here a full picture for anyone interested!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Nan, just reply back to your message thread. Address whom you wish :-) Your tree looks very happy and healthy.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Patty made a good point about your mix...

That's the first thing I always look it and it doesn't look like it will eventually support good root developement, especially in the coming months...Think seriously about using a much more porous mix as soon as you can.
    By the way, your tree is a beauty..Looks like it is going to have a good form, depending on how tall you desire it.)

Mike

• NANDERSON15
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha! Thanks a lot Patty S. Thanks for the compliments guy's I had no idea what to expect, or what to look for health wise. Hello Mike, thanks for your input. About changing the soil, how do safely do that?