Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phucvu

bacterial or fungus growth on leaves

phucvu
12 years ago

{{gwi:614744}}

not totally focused, but you can see the pattern of growth. should i clean, remove, spray, or do nothing?

Comments (10)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

citrus leaf miner. i believe spinosad is the preferred method to rid them. only brand i've seen is Green Light. i bought one earlier this year at Lowes. there are two different types, same bottle, similar labels, so you have to look at the ingredient and get the one with spinosad.

• phucvu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok thanks

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Yup, Citrus Leaf Miner, which is a huge issue here in California. I use a combination of Spinosad and Volk Oil. Spray starting at the end of July, 3 applications, 3 weeks apart. Spray in the evening, as the sun is going down, and when the little moths come out. Don't spray if it's going to be a scorching hot day, or your leaves will burn. CLM attacks the youngest, most tender leaves. The damage is mainly cosmetic, but if you have a very small, very young tree, it can hinder growth. And Houston is right, you should be able to get both products at Lowe's. Mix them both according to their labels, in one spray container. Here is some info on CLM for you from UC IPM web site. A great site for those of us in California, and one you should definitely bookmark for further use. Also, you might want to bookmark the UC Davis Backyard Orchard web site as well. Excellent info for us growing fruit in California:

UC Davis Backyard Orchard

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Citrus Leaf Miner

• phucvu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i just plucked off the infected leaves and i'm waiting to see what happens next.

12 years ago

Well, you'll just get more infected leaves, phucvu. This pest is a little tiny moth. It will continue to lay it's eggs into the young leaves of your citrus trees, and the eggs will hatch, and the larvae will continue to tunnel in the leaves. Plucking the leaves will not stop the infestation. Only the spraying I recommended or a systemic product with Imidicloprid will control your infestation. And, it is not recommended to remove the leaves unless you've got a significant canopy, as your younger trees need those leaves to conduct photosynthesis with. If you've got a big canopy, and you don't like looking at the damaged leaves, then you can remove them, but usually it's better to just leave the leaves on the tree :-) And it looks like your tree is pretty small, so I would stop plucking those leaves and either spray or put down a systemic. If you read the article I provided for you, it gives you the accepted management for CLM. Leaf plucking is not a management option.

Patty S.

• phucvu
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yea i saw those moths flying around the other day, but bees are going around so spraying might not be good for them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Neem oil has shown to be effective in helping control leaf miners. It works, first of all, in deterring the adult from laying the eggs at all. Then it acts on the developing larvae so that no second generation emerges.

Of course, you will have to be cautious about applying the neem in the heat of a bright, sunny day...as with all products we might apply to leaves.

Be mindful of over fertilizing with too much nitrogen, as these insects prefer new, succulent growth. If you have any sucker growth coming from the roots (below the graft) be sure to keep that pruned completely off at all times.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

From UC IPM
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74137.html

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus leafminer

12 years ago

Rhizo, I use either Volk or Neem mixed with Spinosad. Works very well for me and most of the citrus growers out here also use this combination. But you're right, unfortunately the timing for spraying unfortunately coincides with our hot summer temps, so you have to be very careful you don't burn your leaves. The little CLM moth is smart - it times itself with the summer flush. Really a nasty, ugly disease, but fortunately, it's mostly cosmetic. Jean, same link I posted above in my post, too. I love UC IPM's site as well as UC Davis Backyard Orchard. So helpful for us home orchardists.

Patty S.

• mbwillett_cox_net
    12 years ago

I have been alternating neem and spinosad on some new citrus trees with leafminer. Can you mix them in the same tank?