Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far to plant Valencia Orange tree from the house?

Posted by tony_1234 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 14:07

I have a question: I just bought a Valencia Orange tree from a local nursery and have my gardener planted it already. It is about 6 ft to my house in the sideyard. However, the label tag says it is a standard size tree and the tree size is 15-25 ft. Spacing is 15-20 ft. The tree is still small. So it is OK for now. However, my question is whether 6 ft is far enough to my house consider when the tree becomes mature? if not, what should I do? I am concerned that if we don't leave enough space to the house, when it has grown up, the tree root would hurt my house foundation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far to plant Valencia Orange tree from the house?

Well, I would have planted it at least 15 feet from your house, Tony. A standard orange tree will get fairly large. I'm not worried about the foundation - citrus trees don't really have that type of root system, but certainly it is going to grow up and under your eaves. I would re-plant it further away from your house, personally.

Patty S.

o

I have some full grown orange trees near a small retaining wall with a minimal foundation - less than 1/4 the amount of foundation that wall would get if it was built to code today. They don't damage it at all. The fig that is further from a similar wall is destroying the wall.

I'm guessing from the label statement and guessing you are in California, your tree is from Durling Nursery. A friend that planted a Durling Semi-Dwarf 4' from his green house is having lots of problems keeping it trimmed to size. It is 10 years old. It sounds like 15' from the house would be about right. My standard orange trees are full grown and about 20' tall and 22' in diameter.

This post was edited by GregBradley on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 15:46

o

Thanks a lot, Patty and Greg! Yes, I am in Southern California. I will replant it as suggested.

Cheers!

Tony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here