Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briergardener_gw

Potted lemon tree problems

briergardener_gw
10 years ago

Plant on image is my first experiment with citruses. It does not look well, yellowing of leaves and absences of flowers.
It had scales, but I hope I cleaned them just with soap.
What is needed now?
thank you

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Brief,

Although I don't see yellow leaves, your priority is to rid scale.
    I doubt soapy water kill them.

Scale is contageous, so isolate your citrus, and inspect neighboring plants.

I use Fish Emulsion. FE is actually an organic fertilizer, but it kills scale and other insects, too.

The only con is, FE has a fishy odor that lasts 2-3 days.

But, it kills scale, which is most important.

There are other oils that may kill scale, too, but I don't know brand names since I only spray w/FE.

If you decide to go with FE, the dosage is 1 capful per 16oz water in sprayer.
    If you only have one plant, reduce by half. Good luck, Toni

• Clm128
    10 years ago

how often are you watering it? are u fertilizing? it looks like its inside so was it recently moved in? how long have u had it and when did the isue start and finally where a bouts are u and how much sun is it getting?

we need alittle more info to help

cheers
    chris

• briergardener_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni, do you mean Alaskan fish fertilizer? I'll do it. Thanks
    Chris, I water it when I feel soil is dry, fertilized last time two weeks ago. It's inside in sunny sunroom (maybe too hot sometimes). I bought it last summer, it had a lot of flowers, but in winter it dropped almost all leaves (it was cold in sunroom), but got new in spring, then it got scales.
    I don't see scales right now, but plant is not flowering and new leaves are yellow.
    I see that people are talking about "vinegar" treatment and my plant looks like plant in eight image in meyermike's message "Please share recent pictures..." where he says that plant did not have "vinegar" treatment for 3 month.
    What is "vinegar" treatment?
    Thank you for your desire to help
    gail

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Brier...Yep, Alaska Fish Emulsion.

Dossage. 1 capful of FE to 16-19oz water added to sprayer.
    Spray entire plant..upper and lower leaves. Stems, trunk.

If you're only spraying one plant, divide the dossage accordingly.

Good luck, Toni

• Clm128
    10 years ago

vinigar treatment is adding vinigar to the water when you water it to lower ph (i believe lower) if your water or soil ph is too high. how hot is it getting in that room when you say maybe too hot? and how cold in the winter? i wouldnt leave the tree there all winter if it is dropping all its leaves.... if im not mistaken citrus are a form of ever green so thats not normal.

but i dont think that is the issue (or causing this issue) in mid august. this could be due to the scales but im not sure honestly i have no experience with them. if i were you id treat them as you see them and keep fertalizing with a 3-1-2 ratio fertilizer (with added mg and ca). meyers eat up alot of food compared to other citrus so assuming your hydrating it enough it could just be hungry.

after that you just need to watch and see how the plant reacts. repost if it worsens

chris