Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Two Citrus Trees -- ID and a Developing Problem?

The previous owners (two owners ago) planted these trees and I can see they are citrus trees, but really no idea if they are lemon, lime, orange or what have you.

Sure, time will tell -- and my treatment of either would be the same, but I'm just curious.

I'm especially curious because a couple fruits from what looks like a lime or lemon are dropping, and I'm not liking the looks of some of those leaves where the yellow splotchiness happens. I saw it before on a kumquat tree...and it didn't end well for that tree.

Tree 1:
{{gwi:615174}}

{{gwi:615177}}

See the splotchy yellowing?
{{gwi:615182}}

The inside of the dropped fruit from tree 1 -- smells like a lime, in my opinion...but there appear to be a couple turning yellow on the tree, so I'm guessing it's a lemon?
{{gwi:615219}}

Tree 2:
{{gwi:615223}}
{{gwi:615225}}

Ignore the other stuff around it. Eventually, I'll pull everything that doesn't work and replace with something, but there are big empty beds to be filled before that!

Any input appreciated!

Grace

Comments (4)

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

The smaller fruit that dropped off looks like maybe a Key lime; they get yellow color when ripe and then drop off the tree. The larger fruit looks like a more traditional lemon; if you are lucky it may be a Meyer; but no way to tell until they get ripe later in the year.
    BTW In the English language "lemon" means yellow; and "lime" means green; but in most of the world they are all lemon (limon in Spanish). Most "limes" get at least a shade of yellow when they are fully mature.
    The yellow areas clearly indicates a deficiency of Magnesium, maybe also Manganese, and likely a general lack of Nitrogen. Get some good citrus fertilizer and give your trees a good shot of that applied at the dripline and watered in well.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

John,

Thank you so much for the info. I'll definitely get on the citrus fertilizer this week. Key limes....that would be wonderful!

I take it Meyer lemons are good? Hmm...now I want them to speed up so I can confirm! :)

Incidentally, I have some surprisingly talented spiders on this property who cast webs from roof to roof and even roof to patio two floors down (WTH!?!). Inevitably, some are in between the leaves and branches of all the trees and bushes. I basically hate all bugs and I wash them out as much as I can with a jet stream of water -- but otherwise, I suppose they aren't doing any real damage?

Meaning, I don't have to worry about eating spider eggs or anything disgusting INSIDE the lemon or limes after I wash them? I get itchy just thinking about bugs.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Looks a little big to be a Key (Mexican) lime. More likely a Bearss lime. If it smells like a lime, it's a lime. Limes turn yellow when they're ripe. They will also drop from the tree once they're ripe. Both Mexican/Bearss will drop when ripe. Basically, what John said - just fertilize your tree regularly. About 3 to 4 times a year. The tree looks to be in nice shape. Don't wash out the spiders, they are beneficials and help to protect your citrus trees. And no, spiders do not lay their eggs inside fruit. Just wash your fruit off to remove the dust and dirt. Here in S. California, that's likely more harmful that an errant bug you might eat ;-)

Patty S.

• Sugi_C (Las Vegas, NV)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty - thank you for the bug tips!
    I'll do my utmost to tolerate more webs in the trees, but...it won't be easy. I'm better as long as I don't see them from the outside; what's inside between the branches is less disturbing.

I did examine the few that dropped and they all look well without any issues. I guess they were just ready to be picked. Looks like I won't have to buy anymore limes again this year! :)

Thank you!