Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can u identify this? Satsuma sickness?

Posted by MeanNgreen 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 14:54

Hello all,
Hope you can help on this. I've had this satsuma in ground since april and it's been doing real well. The other day I noticed these lesion like areas on 2 of the developing fruit. Today I check on it and it has gotten noticeably worse in just two days? I don't mind if just 2 bad fruit but worried it will pass to rest of fruit or hurt tree.
I don't see any bugs on tree, and Idea what this could be?
Thanks!

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:08

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can u identify this? Satsuma sickness?

2 days ago

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 15:03

o

2 days ago

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 15:00

o

today

o

another shot today

o

It appears to be bird damage. Birds will use the oils from your fruit to groom/preen their feathers. It inhibits lice, etc.

o

Here are some close ups

o

close up.

o

Thanks keen. I added some close ups. Seems like something is sucking the pigment out or maybe some kind of fungus. Does this still look like the work of birds?

This post was edited by MeanNgreen on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:52

o

It's not bird damage. I would say something fungal, based on the symmetrical roundness of some of the lesions, but you don't mention where you live, which makes a significant difference. We just don't get much fungal pest pressure here in S. California due to our rather dry climate, so I can't help with a diagnosis. I would suggest you send your photos to your local ag agent, and they should be able to get you a diagnosis and treatment plan right away. For now, I would would try to treat with an appropriate anti-fungal, as you attempt to ID/diagnose the issue.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unversity of Florida: Citrus Fungal Diseases

o

Hi Patty
I'm in myrtle beach and it's terribly humid right now. I will take your advice and check with local group. Thank you!

o

Hi Patty
I'm in myrtle beach and it's terribly humid right now. I will take your advice and check with local group. Thank you!

o

First fruit just fell... :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here