Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I keep this Moro Blood Orange

Posted by dancer40 9 California (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 14:58

I have had for maybe 2 months or more. The squirrels got some of the leaves, but it was on clearance when I got it and the top leaves have been flopped over for a while. Not sure what the problem is. I am a novice gardener so sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Here is a link that might be useful: blood orange

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I keep this Moro Blood Orange forgot to add

I have fed it some citrus food. The stuff on the leaves if you can see it is remnants of cayenne pepper spray I used to deter the squirrels from it. I was going to put it in a larger container, but it hasn't grown much just seems the same-hasn't lost any leaves... It was on clearance at Home Depot when I got it, maybe I should have not purchased it...

o
RE: Should I keep this Moro Blood Orange

I would love if our Home depots carried blood oranges. they always seem to carry the typical lemons and limes. It appears to pretty healthy to me. Unless you dont have the time and money to take care of it, I would for sure keep it. Citrus grow in cycles. When nothing is happening on top they are usually growing new roots. Get it a bigger pot and put it in a well draining mix, no topsoil and nothing with a lot of peat.

Nice tree.

Mike

o

It looks great, Dancer! Nice and healthy. I would just pot it up in a larger container. There is a great recipe for "gritty mix" on this forum, which makes for excellent container mix. And, perhaps you can put some chicken wire around it until it gets a bit bigger, to discourage the squirrels. I love blood oranges, Moros are very nice, and are the darkest of all the blood oranges. It's a keeper in my book.

Patty S.

o

Thanks guys! I will repot it when it cools off a bit. Its in the upper 80's here. Sorry it wasn't Home Depot it was Lowes .

o

You know what I recognized the label because our lowes carried the same ones. Only problem is they only had kumquat, meyer lemon, limquat and a type of orange that I dont remember. Wasnt blood orange though or I would own one.

Mike.

o

Yes, Duarte Growers are a reputable company, and provide quite a bit of citrus for Lowe's, Home Depot and Costco around here. And dancer, if you copy the .html code right into the body of your message, the photo will appear right in your message. Better than a link :-) And I've got some things to pot up too, but it's in the mid-80's here today, and slated to hit high 80's tomorrow. Plus it's humid. We must be getting some monsoon weather pushing up from the Gulf of Mexico. Hate this muggy hot stuff we get here occasionally. Ugh. Time to flip on the air conditioner, bummer!

Patty S.

o
thanks for the tip on photos

That's a good tip about the photos let me try to post one of my dwarf meyer lemon I got from Armstrong
August 24, 2011

o
oops too small

o

Nice Meyer, dancer!

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here