Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this almost dead free kumquat saveable?

Posted by string43 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 15:12

i found a dead looking kumquat tree on the street today. it's all brown except for 8 inches of stem. no leaves or anything. all that is green is below where the kumquat was grafted on to the rootstock. i stuck the pot in a bucket of water. anything else i should do to save it? and what could the rootstock be?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this almost dead free kumquat saveable?

who knows what kind of rootstock it is. If the tree is dead above the graft, Im not sure I would put much effort into it.

o

One thing for certain...if you leave it in the bucket of water, it will die.

By the way, kumquats are 'usually' grafted onto (guess what?) Poncirus trifoliata. Not always, but most often. 'Rough' lemon varieties are used also, in some parts of the country.

o

Cool, i hope the rootstock lives, then.
it was only in the water for an hour or two, to get water into the really dry soil.

o

Bet money it's gone.. sorry. You really can't water it from here (once you moistened the soil), until the soil nearly dries itself out (since no leaves for transpiration).

You'll probably know in a couple more weeks -- it's been 2 weeks already, is it gone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here