Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young Grapefruit Tree

Posted by 750lucklord none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 15:19

Hi,
I recently bought a young grapefruit tree. It did not say exactly how old or what kind grapefruit it was. I live in Toronto (Canada) and I'm going to keep the tree inside during the summer near a large south-west facing window. I'm fertilizing it with a 30-10-10 fertilizer meant for trees. It has all of the required micronutriens ( B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Zn) except Mangnesium, which I use every 2-3 weeks. I mulch it once in a while with grass clipping or ground up pine cones. I have pictures and some of my concerns here: http://imgur.com/a/NLXa8. I'm wondering how old it is, how big it will get, if its anywhere near fruit bearing age and if I'm caring for it properly.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young Grapefruit Tree

750, it sure is a pretty tree and a healthier green than any of mine. I'm just in awe you can grow citrus in Canada, even inside.

o

Haha, its warm where I live, all of Canada isn't a frozen wasteland. Do you know what kind of tree it is?
Thanks for the reply!

o

No, sorry, I don't have any idea but I'm no expert. To me, most citrus leaves look the same, except for differences in size.

o

750 The tree is grafted to root of a different variety. the yellow brown streaks are the bark maturing from green to real bark as the tree ages. This is normal. The tree is very nice looking. my advice to you is to keep reading the citrus web on problems people have with their individual trees. What ever they have, YOU WILL HAVE at some time in the future and it will be extremely helpful to recognize a problem before it escalate. Knowing as opposed to asking for help can mean the difference between a health tree remaining healthy to a tree loosing 1 to2 years or just outright dieing.

My main expertise is getting around what would appear to be any insurmountable problems in gardening. I know relatively little about citrus. My knowledge Is here from the web

o

Thanks so much for your response! It was really helpful! I'm really glad to know its grafted and I'll be sure to keep learning about grapefruit trees!

o

graft line area in yellow circle

The simple winged leaf on the rootstock shows it is not poncirus trifoliata.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here