Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citruscrazed

Growquest Frustrations

citruscrazed
18 years ago

Hey Guys,

I ordered 5 lemon and orange Trees from Growquest 2 weeks ago. On the order status page it still says it's in process. I try calling and emailing the place but I always either get the answering machine or they dont answer my emails. I'm really getting frusterated and getting ready to cancel my order. Has anyone else had experiance with this company? Thanks!

Comments (121)

• deltadog2
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh hey...look at that, now they're out of business again. The funny part is they say it's as of January 2006, but they were "up and running" again in February 2006. Someone needs to get them a calendar just so they can keep track of when they're in business and when they're not!

Anyway...

http://www.growquest.com is gone completely.
    http://www.abetterplant.com/ says they're refunding orders due to closure of the company. And they list everyone they'll be sending refunds to.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

I'd never order from that nusery..I don't care about the cost, or if they swore they had the best trees available..I can't believe the BBB or some organization hasn't closed them down with all the complaints..
    It's too bad more people weren't aware of GWD. So many people get online looking for nurseries and are drawn to this nursery because of the plant pics they display. I thank goodness I'm aware of it..if there's a way to get the word out, I wish I could find it..Toni

• gardner_dragon
    17 years ago

So sad to say, but Growquest is back in a BIG way. They are now using Amazon.com as their vehicle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growquests page on amazon

• landofoz_07
    17 years ago

Just to add an update to the growquest saga: They are no longer selling on amazon but have opened their own site. I almost, ALMOST, ordered ladybugs from them. Thank God my hubby asked me to do something else and I forgot. I had my cc ready and everything. I'm so glad that I remembered to check GWD and here. Probably saved me $30, and a lot of hassle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Quest

• nadreh_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I wish I had checked here first before ordering 2 roses from them. So far I have had nothing but headache from them. I finally told them to cancel the order and they better not charge my card. I got the same two roses from MerryGro Farms in Florida at much lower price. They are already on their way.

• mrada
    16 years ago

This guy is a fraud. I got a pomegranate tree which was suppose to be a Red Silk one. What I got is a Lowe's special. How did I know it came from Lowe's? The tag was still on it!!! He also sent me a nearly dead Sir Prize Avocado and the wrong size Bacon Avocado. I also ordered a Mc Beth Loquat and Meyer Lemon, however, I don't know if they are the right either.

There needs to be class action against this guy Chris. He isn't even a nursery but a broker.

Talk about being deceitful.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Mrada, is Growquest still opened for business? I can't believe it..after all the complaints made against his company, you'd think they'd close down..
    That's terrible you got ripped off.
    I wish more ppl out here were aware of gardenwatchdog.com I think the majority of people looking for plants, find a good-looking site w/positive promises, then find themselves ordering from this guy..If only there was a way to warn people..this disgusts me..
    If you're unhappy w/your plants can you send them back, at his expense? I can't believe he sent a Lowe's plant..that's awful and should be against the law. Toni

• eraft
    16 years ago

At the end of a long rope - and don't know exactly what to do - I wanted olive trees - searched the internet and found this company. Called and was given Chris's cell phone number.
    I ordered 2 olive trees, 2 fig trees, 1 lemon,1kumquat..and
    after a couple of long conversations with Chris was told that he would ship fedex ground following week as trees were starting to bud. I was charged 2000+ a week later and after a month and no trees tried emailing. Didn't hear back - after a few more emails I was told that upon MY request he was waiting until the trees were FLOWERING and in good condition to ship.
    WHy on earth would I request shipping trees that are blooming - the dialogue we had was centered around shipping trees immediately because they were starting to bud.
    I received the 2 fig trees after countless frustrated emails 2 mo later - with broken branches - but I will attribute that to shipping - but the packing was so very very poor it's a wonder they didn't both snap in half/
    I cancelled the balance of the order - got an email confirming the cancellation and two weeks later got a call from a freight forwarder stating that my trees were here and they have a note saying "bill Elizabeth" for 700+. Shipping was paid when the order was paid - it was all included.
    BUT I cancelled the order and someone over at that poor excuse of a company confirmed the cancellation.
    I refused the trees - and need some advise. What recourse do I have - I'm so frustrated with the total lack of professionalism I could scream.
    And that wretch has me in a barrel. The trees are here - who knows what condition they're in and I need to pay an additional 700 for delivery - after I've already paid 500+/
    Not to mention being out 2k+ for almost 3 months with very limited feedback. It's as if the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. And since when do companies bill before shipping????
    Anyone have a good suggestion - or know who to contact that could help me??
    many thanks to any and all feedback

• oregon_veg
    16 years ago

This whole saga borders on the unbelievable.
    I'm just waiting for a major network to pick it up. I think this is good enough for the "You won't believe this" section in Readers Digest.

• fungi05_excite_com
    16 years ago

Tams Nursery can you please email me your website address. I was not able to find it online. Thank you.

• rschutt
    16 years ago

NEVER ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY! It has been A YEAR since my order. They keep stalling, lying, everything to get out of their obligation! They have had my money for the last year!! They keep saying it was sent in July 07. But as I told them MANY times, I only got 2 of the 3. Then they stall more. Then they go back to saying it was sent in July 07. I notified them right away I was missing one. They ignore emails, calls, everything!

And DO NOT believe the crap about family issues! Chris has been using that excuse for the last year!! His wife probably left him cuz he is a lying cheat! I have at least 50 emails over the last year proving that they continue to stall and lie!

They have my money and my product!! It has been literally ONE YEAR!!

BUYER BEWARE...TO THE nTH DEGREE!!! I will be writing another letter to the Better Business Bureau ... I suggest everyone do the same so they do not continue to scam people!!

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

RS, it's truly amazing Growquest, (he uses other name, too) is still opened to the public.
    Check www.gardenwatchdog.com Unsuspecing people are buying from this guy. People have written to the BBB and other government agencies, and so far nothing has been done.
    I'm sooo thankful I never ordered from him. And yes, I've read his lies on GardenWatchdog..He has to know someone staying in bussines after hundreds of people made complaints..Something's fishy.
    I wish more ppl would read GardenWatchdog before ordering from this rip-off company..Toni

• kifaru
    15 years ago

Does anybody know who this gus ISP is? I'd like to have the site shut down.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

RSC, I don't know if you're still around, but if so, what happened when you notified the BBB?

Kifaru, which site do you want to shut down? Growquest? If you go to www.gardenwatchdog.com you'll see this Chris guy uses other nursery names..3 they know of.
    I cannot believe this man is in business. Just yesterday I checked GWD and people are still complaining about this nursery. Can you imagine all the others who were ripped off and never heard of GWD?
    It's too bad GWD isn't publicly announced, so people who spend their hard-earned money would be made aware before ordering from a nursery. Especially a rip off company!
    Sorry, I have no idea what his ISP is. I'd say he uses more than one email. Apparently, according to a people who visited his so-called nursery, the address listed is nothing but a vacant lot. NOT a green house. Not anything. Toni

• kilejo_bellsouth_net
    15 years ago

His isp is names4ever.com. Call them or email them and let them know.

Domain name: growquest.com

Registrant:
    Chris Gilcrest (9PGKZ) info@biopest.com
    Applied Bio Pest
    567 W. Channel Islands Blvd. #129
    Port Hueneme, CA 93041
    United States
    Phone: +1 (805) 984-9224
    Fax: +1 (805) 984-1517

Administrative Contact:
    Applied Bio Pest
    Port Hueneme, CA 93041
    United States

Technical Contact:
    Applied Bio Pest
    Port Hueneme, CA 93041
    United States

Billing Contact:
    Applied Bio Pest
    Port Hueneme, CA 93041
    United States

• jeelli
    15 years ago

I know this string is old- 2005, but good information. If you check out GWD's feedback for this company, there is one dated March 2008, by Ruthlyz that you may find intriguing, and her post may provide closure. Justice has been served!!!
    btw- I'm having a problem with Aloha Tropicals- similar thing, two months since I ordered, they have my money, I have no plants, etc. I know- I had even posted a positive comment about these people based on prior experience, that I've changed to negative, now that I got burned! I STRONGLY recommend GWD first first first!!!

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Jeelli, it'd be great keeping this thread on top...especially for people who are unaware of Gardenwatchdog.
    I really find it unbelievable this business is up and running..How many ppl have contacted the BBB and other government agencies??? If you or anyone here have ever read through the feedback on this company, you'll know what I mean..this has been going on far too long.

I'll have to go back to GWD and read your feedback on AT's..Did you contact them via emails? Thanks for the heads up, that's another nursery off my list. Toni

• jeelli
    15 years ago

Hi Toni!
    I did email them- again- I told them I'm ready to file a complaint with the BBB. I have all of the info for the local Better Business Bureau office in San Diego.
    I received a reply today from Aloha Tropicals. They stated that they had been unable to successfully propagate two of the plants I had ordered, and they will be refunding my money ($88). What bugs me is that they took my money immediately (in April), promised to send them a month ago (in May) and now all of the sudden they don't even have them???
    I haven't been credited yet, but I have a copy of my statement from April showing the charge, and a copy of the email I just got today, to bring to the bank. Just in case.
    I'm going to have to find a reputable place to get the Pua Keni Keni tree and the Gardenia Carinata (Coronata) that I really wanted, although now I'll have to wait until the fall to have them shipped.

• siegel2
    15 years ago

You might want to try Tropical Gardens of Maui to find your Pua Keni Keni. http://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com/

I've had good luck with them.

• citrusenthusiast
    15 years ago

Don't know if this has been posted but Chris now has a website called SurfandsierraDOTCOM
    and a Phone # of 559-802-8066

• katekatekate
    14 years ago

I ordered ladybugs from this guy in December and never received them. Luckily my card wasn't charged, but I think I should cancel the credit card just in case. I think the company is a front for something else or a total scam.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Toni,
    I am so thankfull that I didn't order from these people. I almost did. I liked there avocado selection and was considring buying a dwarf from them until someone on tropical fruit forum had warned me. Icannot believe it is legal to scam thousands of people out of money. I also agree that personal business should never reflect on your company. I am hoping this place gets shutdown fast!
    Andrew

• marisha-too
    13 years ago

I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one having problems with Aloha Tropicals. I ordered plants last October using their e-mail offer, which they did not honor. Arrived plants did not look good: Kaffir Limes looked not healthy - leaves not shiny with brown spots. Now 6 month later both of them didn't grow...
    Pineapple Guava, probably 3-4 years old plant, about 3 foot-tall, all growth on one side (no branches on other sides) was in 4" pot...
    Jasminum Sambac, "Maid of Orleans" looked strange - light yellow leaves with almost white spots (I am afraid it has viral infection). During last 6 month it grow only one pair of leaves, which are deformed and still very light. It also has 2 flowers - about 4-5 mm large, whitish at first, becoming burgundy later. No smell.

I tried to contact company by phone - nobody picks up the phone and nobody returns voice mail. Tried to send e-mail using web-site contact us - system gives Internal Error message. Tried to send e-mail through web-master - returns as undeliverable with "recipient does not like you" message.

I will never again have any business with them.

• campsgreenhouse
    13 years ago

I wish I had found Gardenweb before I ordered an avocado tree from Chirs at Growquest! I talked to him over the phone, and told him this was an end of chemo gift from my hubby, and he charged me through the nose and sent me a tree! But it came sick, dying then died FAST FAST FAST! I tried to deal with him, and after much irritation he told me it was now too late to send another and that he would send me a refund then try again in the Spring! I let him know several times over winter that I had not gotten that refund, but to be honest another round of chemo drew my attention away from it...so partly my fault I suppose. However, I have now sent a couple more emails and he hasn't replied at all. It sounds like he won't respond either. I am frustrated, and angry, I know some people can shrug off a hundred and fifty bucks but that is a lot of money for us and I'm mad. Mad that I didn't look into him more but honestly I didn't know places like this exsisted either. After I he shipped my tree he asked me to give him good feedback someplace he sent a link to. I did. I wish I hadn't, and have no idea where it was either! I'd like to go back and leave scathing feedback now. I guess I can only be grateful that now I have Garden web to look things up on and will hopefully not ever have that experience again. Needless to say I won't do business with them again, and now I don't order anything until I look up on Garden Web and see for each thing where you all got yours! LOL

Just know, that Growquest is still in business and swindling honest people!

Since I read way more than ever posting, think I have posted once or twice maybe. But I have sure gotten great help here! Greatful for this place!

• zecowsay
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about what he did to you, campsgreenhouse. I know the website he probably sent you to, but I am unable to post it on gardenweb. But don't worry, you wouldn't really have to add any negative feedback. There are many, many others who have done so already. Going by all the comments on that site, he's been reported to several agencies but unfortunately it seems nothing is being done to stop him.

• fraudquest2010
    13 years ago

Thinking about ordering from Growquest??

As another person stated....step away from your keyboard...step away and RUN!

I actually met Chris back in 2004 on a landscaping project, he probably does not remember me, but he left a lasting impression on me. IMHO....I have never met anyone so rude and filled with hubris! I ordered some hard to find roses from him, but after many, many emails and phone calls they never came EVEN THOUGH HE WAS PAID IN FULL and has had MY MONEY for 6 years!!

It is hard to believe that this man can remain in business. However, he DOES change the name of his company as often as most of us change our underwear. I was SHOCKED to see the article in the Ventura County Star Newspaper in early April 2010 - see link below.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/apr/08/santa-paula-web-based...

He has been conning people out of their hard earned dollars since 2003 and continues to do so. I thought we had seen the last of him when he was arrested in 2006 for labor code violations. Alas, the Phoenix rises from the ashes of all the people he has BURNED - yes, pun intended!

When I heard through the grapevine that he was up and running again now in Santa Paula, I was shocked and decided to see if he REALLY did have a nursery anywhere since I was making a trip to So Cal anyway. I went over to his office located at 134 Davis Street in Santa Paula, CA. When I arrived I found a house that had been converted into a number of small offices. There was no sign saying "Growquest" ANYWHERE and I was not sure that he actually has an office in that building. There were some dead trees in the back parking lot (about 4 plants). After some investigating/researching I set out to find "his nursery down the street." I stopped at anything that looked like a nursery and asked anyone I could find if this was the Growquest nursery - NO LUCK.

I sincerely doubt that he has ANY nursery space located in Ventura County or anywhere else for that matter! After many years, I have come to the conclusion that Christopher Morgan Gilcrest is NOTHING MORE THAN A (BAD) PLANT BROKER and he runs a stock-less inventory. I often wonder if he buys his plants, trees, roses, etc. from Home Depot and then just re-sells them to unsuspecting customers.

I ordered a few more times from him over the years just to SEE what would happen - small orders of course and I used a prepaid credit card (to keep my losses to a minimum)! No Chris, I WILL NOT give you my order number so you can send me more incoherent and rambling emails. I don't care about your family problems or ADMITTED debilitating mental health issues! Sure, I feel some compassion for your family, but that should not interfere with running a business. If you can't stand the heat, get the H*LL out of the kitchen!!

You continue to BLAME everything and everyone under the sun for your COMPLETE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The mere fact that YOU personally respond to the complaints on GW tells me a lot. I AM confused as to why you don't respond to the BBB complaints about your biz??? You seem to have all the time in the world to go online for everything else - why not respond to all of your BBB complaints...huh?

You know what Chris? I DON'T CARE ABOUT "your new love" or any of your other problems. I also don't care about your stupid youtube videos - in fact, I find them rather annoying. You seem to have the time to find a new girlfriend, make 400+ youtube videos, and to send offensive and rambling emails to your scammed customers. Tsk...Tsk..Very unprofessional Chris!

If you spent half the time to respond to your customers instead of making videos, sending bulk emails that have nothing to do with pending orders, suing people for defamation, and the list goes on..you might actually establish a satisfied customer base.

Just for fun, I ordered some Ladybugs from Growquest this year for my niece's birthday party and a tree rose for Mother's Day. Guess what??? Nothing came! Do you feel any remorse when you miss your shipping deadlines for gifts?? Sheesh! I am still waiting for my roses from 2004! Luckily, I double ordered the Ladybugs and tree rose from someone else as to ensure my gifts actually showed up when expected. Fool me once Chris...never again!

Watching your drama unfold over the last 6 years has been mildly entertaining, but I REALLY FEEL BADLY for all the other people you cheated and disappointed over the years!

Posting YOUR PERSONAL drama on your customer service page was jaw dropping and completely inappropriate. What in God's name were you thinking?? I was EMBARRASSED for you! Psst....NO ONE CARES about your personal problems!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi fruadquest,
    So sorry you are one of the people added to his fraud list. I don't understand how this guy can legally scam people the way he has. I mean he must owe thousands out to the people he scammed. I don't know how he can sleep at night. Me personally, I feel awefull when I set up a trade and we agree to a day that we are going to the trade and I send my plant a day late! Has anyone ever tried to go after this guy? I know whenever someone mentions wanting to buy from growquest I always jumo on it and tell them the "growquest" story. Too bad this company can't be banned from the internet. There should be a legal way to block fraudulent companies like this so unsuspecting customers don't have the opportunity to order from them. Thanks for sharing your experience with growquest and I am sorry you were one of there victims!
    Andrew

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

you know whats funny. I got interested in growing citrus when I came across his youtube vids..

glad I never ordered from him.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Thank God for nurseries like 4Winds and, is it Briteleaf?

I think I ordered from Growquest a while back too, and actually got a , I think what looked like a tree, but longer have it anymore to pove it...!:-(

Mike

• rogueroman
    13 years ago

Wish I had seen this site before. I ordered Ladybugs from Growquest on June 1, they were shipped on June 17th and arrived June 18th. Growquest is located in Ventura county I believe and I live in Palm Springs. When I placed the order, shipping was quoted (and is on the invoice that I received) as $10.75 The original invoice which included ladybugs, shipping and CA sales Tax was only $17.78. However, once I received my credit card bill, I discovered I had been charged $35.42 for shipping! He sent it Next Day Air UPS without telling me it would be shipped this way or giving me the option to cancel the order, which I would have done. He also listed the package as 9lbs. Mr. Gilcrest claims it was shipped Next Day Air because of temperatures in my area - but it was still shipped by truck (not air). According to UPS, a shipment sent ground from Santa Paula to Palm Springs, would have arrived the following day anyway.
    Now he is demanding an additional check for $6.49 to pay for the ladybugs. I filed a complaint with BBB, and he has responded back with a threat to turn this over to "our paralegal who will proceed with a small claims action in your local court."
    Anyone out there have a thought on this? Should I just pay the $6.49 and eat the loss of $24.13? Would a small claims court even take on such a small amount? I am furious about this and was hoping someone might give me their 2 cents on this matter. Thanks,
    Zane

• windy3sheets
    13 years ago

I'm sorry for your troubles. I almost ordered from him because of the prices and cool videos, but fortunately found this site beforehand. I own a small e-commerece website, and know the basic jist of the merchant->customer->provider (credit card) relationship. Basically, it sounds like he reserved a flat shipping fee on the CC, perfectly common when you ship bulky items as the rate can be vastly different depending on location, distance, and method. Of course, that doesn't mean you can invoice one thing, and bill another.

Anyway, call your CC provider, tell them your story, FAX or mail the invoice if they need it, and get your refund that you are due. He has committed merchant fraud, and if he's done it alot, he could be in big trouble. At best, he'd lose his merchant account and be blackballed (no credit cards for his business = OUT OF BUSINESS), at worst he'd go to federal prison for 5 years. Depending on who you get on the other line, you'll either have a knowledgeable sympathetic ear, or a minimum wage anti-consumer ear. Either way, you are entitled to a refund for being overcharged on shipping, no questions.

I'd take his lawsuit threat with a grain of Salt. While most states don't have a minimum for small claims court, there is usually a $20-30 dollar filling fee. Plus, his paralegal would have to spend $20+ dollars on gas alone, not counting the time if he/she was not on staff, which I doubt as how many nurseries have on-staff legal advice? Thus, to win a judgment for $7 would cost him a minimum of $100-500... can your say Pyrrhic? And, if you did end up walking into court facing his paralegal over $7, you'd probably be given a positive judgment anyway with and shipping refund by telling the judge your story and presenting your invoice and contradictory credit card statement. If the judge were particularly nasty, he could mention the fact that the statue of limitations on fraud doesn't start counting until the last related act, so watch out. If you steal 1 penny every day for many years, eventually you'll hit that $500 magic number DAs like to have before charging felony fraud. Like everything, it depends on the judge though, but you could be confident and shouldn't worry. I've been to SCC a lot, part of business, and most judges are usually savy with people trying to pull a fast-one one way or the other.

Anyway, it's likely he will not take you to court and that he is just threatening you to pay more. If he knew he'd get away with it, he'd charge your CC. It's likely he'd loose
    Sorry you had bad luck:( Don't get discouraged, I ordered citrus online from one of the many reputable dealers found here, and they are doing extremely well. My thumb is about a green as a hunk of coal.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Campsgreenhouse..It's awful what you've been through.
    The site you left feedback on is: gardenwatchdog.com.
    After reading your post here on GW, I went to Gardenwatchdog. Your post is the first.

An ex-employee of GQ also left feedback. What a story! If anyone is interested, check it out..The thread is two down from Campsgreenhouses.
    The author of the post worked for Chris in May, and still awaiting his pay. He goes on to say how bad he felt, knowing order after order would never be shipped out. He was told to ignore phone calls and delete important emails.

What I don't understand is how this Chris is free. How can one get away ripping people off?
    I only wish all in and outdoor gardeners knew of Gardenwatchdog. What a Scammer! Toni

And now Chris is advertizing on YouTube..What nerve! Thankfully, someone who was ripped off after ordering plants from GW, put up a video..The music theme from 'Halloween' plays in the background..lol..

• k2rgg2
    12 years ago

Yeah the scuzball cheated us out of $113.59 back in 2007. Don't ever order anything from this company.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Why is this thread being dredged up?

Patty S.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I wonder too Patty...it just sucks that companies like this can get away with ripping people off the way they do. Im just glad I found out about them before I ever tried buying from them!

Andrew

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

It's good to keep the thread going if the guy is still doing this. Sounds like k2rgg2 could have benefited from reading this first....

• Kippy
    12 years ago

It is good to keep this thread alive.

I was looking for a rose bush in the area, guess what website popped up! I was going to drive and pick up, so I googled the address....

Good thing I did not just place an order and sit by the porch waiting on my rose. (FYI-I will drive by Santa Paula when I do pick up that rose! But from a reputable company!)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

I agree this thread should stay on top.

To this day, Growquest, is still in operation.

I went to GWD, and discovered more unsuspecting people who purchased from the scam-artist Chris Gilcrest.

I feel for those who order from this 'company' and don't know GWD exists. Toni

• knowd777
    11 years ago

Well I'm chiming in here to let anyone who is interested know my experience.

I've now bought several avocado (4) trees on three separate occasions from Chris at Growquest without any issues.

I am writing this review Thursday 8-16-2012

Chris just came out to my home at 7.30 in the evening to help me plant a tree and give some advice on caring for the others I ordered and planted.

He has gone through some personal issues but I'm a firm believer in second chances.

I would not hesitate to order from Chris and Growquest again.

Pat Knowd -
    Newbury Park CA

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Pat. Before replying, I went to GardenWatchdog to check Growquests feedback.

I too believe in giving people a second and even third chance, but after reading more negative than positive feedback there is no way on earth I'd order from Chris Gilcrest. 94 Positives, 26 Neutrals and 266 Negatives.

You said he dropped off your trees. Perhaps you're near his location?

I don't understand the reason he decides to actually ship plants to certain people, but his average is beyond horrible.

The poor person, 'on GWD, below your feedback,' who ordered plants from Growquest, started with positive feedback, too..He/she also lives in CA. Notice how his/her feedback changed from positive to negative, with an explanation?

'He has gone through some personal issues.'
    Chris has been claiming he's had problems for years..He forgot to mention he spent time in jail, which is public record; the story can be foun online by Googling his name.

Every known agency is looking into his scams..BBB, etc.

I plead with anyone who wants to order trees, citrus or other varieties, to check Garden Watchdog before placing an order with any nursery, particularly Growquest. Toni

• Stallionman
    11 years ago

Chris Gilcrest is a total fraud. He should be in jail. He stole my money. He is a lier, calls you names and steals from you. He disconnects his phones from time to time and then adds another address to his business. He bounces around from place to place after he got kick out of Tulare country. Now he is in Ventura Country. This LOSER, LIER, THEIF should be in jail. Someone needs to put a stop to him.

NEVER USE GROWQUEST GROWERS AT ALL. BE CAREFUL HE HAS MANY WEBSITES OUT THERE. WRITE TO BBB AND THE FBI LIKE I DID. When you call his bluff or write something bad, he will get very mad at you, call you names and treats you like a child. Something is totally wrong with him mentally. Seriously many people have stated this.

The trees that Chris LOSER sold me were diseased and DIED. I had them checked out by a true professional. The trees he sent had too much salt, bugs and was root bound. I found out that he never grew this himself. These are knock off trees from a discount place. Basically, these trees were trashed and he sold them to me. He doesn�t even ship them to you, but throw them in an old crappy van laying down in the hot sun. He damaged these trees. It is on purpose. Check out BBB. Don�t buy from him!! HE CHARGES YOU FOR UPS SHIPPING BUT NEVER SHIPS THEM. THIS IS BAD!!!

He has many you tube videos that shows his plants, DONT believe it. Look at all of them, every video is from a different nursery. He goes around taking videos, post them on You tube as his own, which is a crime and then he sells you crap. He doesn�t sell you these trees at all that you see on the videos. What a TOTAL JERK AND SCAM.
    HIS BUSINESS IS MAINLY FROM YOU TUBE SO PLEASE DONT BUY FROM HIM AND IN FACT CHECK OUT WHAT TRUE CUSTOMER POSTS.
    I KNOW HIS GAME. WHAT A TOTALL LOSER AND JERK.

I know his game well and here is the story. You can confirm everything by going to you tube and reading all the negative things about him. None of this is made up at all by me. THIS IS THE TRUTH. READ ON.

This guy is a thief big time. He has no nursery at all. He works out of a garage with an apartment. He drives around from nursery to nursery taking videos and then post them online to sell you items. His wife left him. His family is mad at him. His children, well, I won�t go into that. Recently his brother is in trouble. Chris Morgan Gilcrest has been in jail, and has to pay a fine. He was required to cease and decease order by the FBI. Now he is being investigated by the FBI and BBB. BBB also has alert out on his business and name. Please look online, you will find everything. I am not making any of this up.

He will either send you trees that will die or not send you anything at all. My job is to stop him and post whatever and whenever I can. There are many customers doing the same thing. We have the right to as freedom of speech. In fact what he is doing is breaking the law and is a federal crime, since he stole over $1,000.00 from customers. I hope he is jailed. I have called the FBI and BBB.

CHRIS LOSER GILCREST, I HOPE YOU READ THIS, LOSER. YOU KNOW ALL THIS IS TRUE. DONT DENY OR LIE. BE HONEST AND BE A MAN. YOU ACT LIKE A CHILD.

• Stallionman
    11 years ago

Contact Catherine Mano 805-662-1703 with the DA's office to add a complaint to this case. Case Nbr 9:10-BK-16202-RR.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Stallionman..I'd like to add, Gilcrest stole way more than 1,000.00. One buyer spent 2,000.00, 'alone,' never received anything..not even a darn leaf.

Add all the other Negatives plus 2,000.00....I'd bet he owes a hundred thousand.

I can't stand rip-offs..Too bad new people looking for a tree doesn't check or know about Garden Watchdog.

Last time I checked Youtube, 'one of Gilcrest's vids' leaving feedback wasn't allowed. Too many negatives I suppose. Toni

• Stallionman
    11 years ago

You are right. He took way more than $1,000.00 Feel free to post whatever the truth is. We can not be afraid of him at all. We need to let the VENTURA DA KNOW OF everything. I am in direct contact with her. More and more people are so tired of his shake downs. Dont let him win!!! We need to fight back. I read a complaint in another state that they will call the local news. I read 5 more complaints posted last month about them losing money. Its crazy.
    Did you call the DA? One day he will go back to jail where he belongs. He has no assets so suing him is usless. There are other ways to go after him.

• Stallionman
    11 years ago

Growquest victims can contact the Ventura DA - (805) 654-3110 - to add information for their fraud investigation of Growquest & Chris Gilcrest.

• Stallionman
    11 years ago

When you post things online, WOW, do this guy get mad. He will email and call you night and day, but will not refund your money. Like no tomorrow. I like the write up from cjr on Dave's garden. Did you see it? OMG, it was great to read. This guy went off. At least he posted facts. Chris Gilcrest, 49 years of age from Lancaster and Santa Paula, CA has been scamming people for years since 1993. He has no real home or any true assets. He lives off of OPM.

Research him you will find over 5,000 pages of negative things about him. You will also find a criminal record that he has as recent as 2008.

He has moved all over the place and was forced to move out of Tulare county as he has a $25,000 judgement against him.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Stallionman. I agree.. BUT:

A couple months ago, I received a WARNING email from the owner stating, if I do not remove feedback, I will be sued.

He wrote, I went beyond 'Free Speech.' lol

Since this forum regards Citrus, and people are always looking to buy, I believe they should be alerted to rip-off nurseries.

It's sad more people do not check GardenWatchdog prior a purchase, so imo, they NEED be warned.

Unfortunately, there's a zillion 'citrue/fruit tree customers' who are unaware of GWD or GW..they browse the net, come across 'certain' online nurseries, then end up being ripped-off.

I haven't checked GWD in months..can't believe people are still buying from him...

I found online newspaper articles about his arrest. They're might be more than one.

How about all the excuses he comes up with???? lol.

Thanks, I'm off to GWD to read cjr's feedback.

• JaxxJaxx
    11 years ago

http://Growquest.com, He took my money and wont give me a refund
    I have lost money with this guy. Him and I email back and forth today, but he has no idea who I am. He cant even find me in his database. What kind of book keeping do you have. He promised me a refund, then never sends it. I have done some research online about Chris Gilcrest.

Up to your old tricks again with a new name (Growquest Gardens) . It wont work.

Please note that this guy Chris Gilcrest does not own these trees. He failed to state this in his videos now under another name called Growquest Gardens. His company name for the record is http://Growquest.com and growquest growers and you can google what he has to offer. This company is a broker for a few nurseries. Many nurseries wont do business with him. He only owns a hand full of plants and trees not more than 5-10 gallons each. Do some research on Chris Gilcrest and you will in fact know. Please see the you tube video with an undercover hidden camera to show his operation. Its all online. He works in a garage with a worker, with no insurance either, which he fails to pay. The Labor board commission knows about this.

Shame on you. I thought you would know better and even learn from your past mistakes. If you really want to know about his operations, go by the addresses that he has posted online. There is no garden or nursery there at all.

He has many angry past customers and current ones will just be added to his list.
    Best part of all, the Ventura county DA office is investigating Chris Gilcrest. I plan to give them a call to file a claim.

He emailed me a lot today stating that he doesnt know me. Then calling names and lying. WOW this guy is a piece of work.

11/14/2012
    I need an order number from you. You wrote a review about me and I need to know the order number to verify the problem and then to resolve it.

11/14/12
    When I gave him my info, he stated that he cant find me in his database at all. That his software states he cant find me and he uses real estate software. Yeah out of date.

11/14/12
    I dont do credit card orders. UPS and FedEx bill for frieght.

Its states on his website and all sites that he takes credit cards.

I even have a receipt that he billed me on my credit card and he is denying that. Maybe the District Ventura DA would like to know about this.

This is how he roles. He does this to everyone as I can see.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

Call your credit card company and dispute the charges, it is easy. You can even use this thread as a reference along with your emails. It sounds like it will be a cold day in hell before he refunds the money, don't wait forever, you do have a time limit to file a claim.
    And yes, contact the police.

• JaxxJaxx
    11 years ago

Doglips,

This guy is a total jerk and is so funny to get emails from him. I now get emails from him daily since I started posting and emailing him starting on 11/14/2012. This guy is a true character. He is crazy too.

I called the credit card company and they flagged him back in the winter of 2011 and stopped using him as a merchant. Apparently, they cant tell me the details, but he threatened to sue them and he has money issues. DUH of course. He has no money. He is basically, getting money from people like us to live. He owes many tax liens and judgements.He lives in a shack.

There is a class action suit being filed now, I found this out. PLease dont forget to file a case with the Ventura DA, Catherine Mano and FBI Deb. You can find their numbers online. I talked to both of them.

Since he reads all the posts, I cant tell you anymore. But PM me and I can talk. If I do, he will fight back like he does with everyone.

You are totally right, He never returns money. Oh by the way some of the positive reviews come from his IP address. I set up a tracker and snipper and found out his true identity. Total scum bag not worth anything.

My credit card company might even sue him for the money they lost. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont tell him.