Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

What would cause a citrus tree to defoliate prematurely?

mcgyvr2009i
9 years ago

My lemon tree for some reason dropped all of its leaves and died. My tangerine tree is going through something similar, only it's dropping leaves no bigger than 3/4 of an inch in length prematurely. They fall off still green.

Is there a reason this is happening? Is there a way to stop this before it does to my tangerine tree what it did to my lemon tree? Thanks a bunch.

Comments (6)

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Normally its a root area/soil problem. Too much water or soggy soil. Possibly too cold. possibly a root diseases. pictures would probably help.

• User
    9 years ago

Maybe not enough water. What are your watering practices? What is the planting medium? Where are the trees (outside, inside)? (I have mine outside, water every day in this heat and they are still dry every day!). Your posting does not give us enough info to solve your problem.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Yes, we need more detail...

You could even have bugs...Please tell us how the roots look, the mix, and any cultural habits you have to share.
    Is it outside?

Mike

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Things I'm doing or might be doing wrong(correct me if I'm wrong):

_I haven't transplanted in over a year
    _Still in a 6 inch pot
    _It's in a Northern facing window indoors
    _Window is open even on days when temperatures fall down to the lower 50s
    _Haven't fertilized since the late winter of this year
    _I haven't misted this plant in forever
    _Humidity is low

Things I believe I'm doing right(correct me if I'm wrong):

_I let the soil dry between waterings
    _It's getting sunlight(though possibly not enough)
    _The heat mimics a tropical climate indoors during the summer where it's hotter during the summer months, cooler during the winter months never falling below 66

Yes, I am disgusted by the neglect these plants are receiving from me. But please keep in mind, most of the neglect is a result of the scale outbreak I've been dealing with. So, for example, I haven't transplanted any of my plants recently because I had to throw out my soil, I had to throw out a LOT of pots, I had to trash some of my plants that had scale because not a single treatment did anything to the problem, if anything made it worse. So, the treatment resulted in loads of neglect, and what upsets me even worse is some of the forms of neglect is going to remain unchanged as I try and recover. Yes, I'm FINALLY recovering because I haven't seen scale recently.

As for the photos, I will post them tomorrow at some point.

• bounty
    9 years ago

Scale, and other pests and diseases, more often than not attack trees that are under nutrient or water stress.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the photos.

This is a full shot of my Tangerine:
    {{gwi:615440}}
    From a distance, it looks healthy, doesn't it?

This is the first leaf that fell off while snapping photos:
    {{gwi:615441}}

This is the Second newly fallen leaf:
    {{gwi:615446}}

This is one of 2 new areas of growth:
    {{gwi:615448}}
    Despite the premature defoliation, my tangerine tree still has 2 areas of new growth. But based on what happened to my lemon, I know this doesn't mean anything.

This is the other new area of growth:
    {{gwi:615451}}

Sorry for the pictures being so crappy. I still don't have a better camera, and I wish I did. I hope the pictures are at least clear enough to be of good help.