Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroitmi6

Calamondin Leaf Drop

detroitmi6
11 years ago

I have a 1.5 year old Calamondin tree. It sits in a 10" clay pot in a south-facing window, and until recently, seemed to be thriving. It had just put out a large flush of new growth and approximately a dozen flowers, which is the largest number of blooms I've had yet. The tree's first fruit is just getting ready to mature. Ideally the tree would move outside for the summertime, but my only outdoor space is north-facing and doesn't get direct sunlight, so it remains indoors year-round.

I recently noticed a moderate scale infestation on the tree. I took the tree out onto the porch and manually removed all the scale I could see. I followed up by misting the tree with a solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol, 5 parts water, and a small squirt of dishwashing soap. I let the tree dry off, and brought it inside to recover. I put it on the dining room table, where I could easier keep an eye on it. The tree sat there for 1.5 days, and then I placed it back in its usual location.

The scale problem seems to have been eliminated. However, the tree also started to drop leaves. I didn't worry at first, but it has dropped about 30% of its leaves. Other leaves have gotten brown around the edge, and the tree is still losing 2 or 3 leaves per day.

The tree gets watered when the top inch or so of soil is dry - approximately 2-3 times per week in the hot summer months & about once per week in the winter.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

{{gwi:615638}}

This branch lost most of its leaves

{{gwi:615639}}

Browning leaves

{{gwi:615640}}

Comments (2)