Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Hardy Winter-Spring Citrus Variety Recommendation?

Posted by mmm...fruit 8B SC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 15:56

I'm looking for a good hardy citrus for out of hand eating from January to April or May in coastal South Carolina (planted outdoors in a favorable microclimate). I was considering getting a Gold Nugget, Yosemite Gold, Tango, Page, or California Honey mandarin, but I'm worried that although the plant may be cold hardy, the fruit itself may not be. I have heard anecdotally that spring mandarins can be tough to ripen even in areas where fall/early winter mandarins do fine.

This will be supplementing my Browns Select and Owari satsumas, indoor Moro blood orange and indoor Oro Blanco. I'd like to have a somewhat steady harvest from late fall to spring.

Thoughts and perspectives are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Hardy Winter-Spring Citrus Variety Recommendation?

Cold hardiest are kumquats and of the Mandarins, I believe Satsuma. Kumquats are not only cold hardy, they are also much less prone to bug issues in my experience. Being small, you can fit them into smaller areas, and maybe add more trees. Skins are edible on these, and sweet too.

o

Thank you, njoasis. I would like to get a kumquat. That's a good idea. Any other ideas on that can handle down to 20 degrees or so?

o

If out of hand means it is no to tart that it chews your lips off, then meiwa is the best kumquat and then fukushu comes next. chose your rootstock carefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1998-vol-111/180-182 (FERGUSON).pdf

o

Flying dragon or poncirus trifoliata would be your best root stock. Most large nurseries are using a fast growing root stock. They get a nice tree up in a short time but it will make a large tree and cold tolerance is lost.

o

Wow... that's a great article on rootstocks for kumquat and calamondin. I have a lot of citrumelo rootstock right now and I thought it was a generally good rootstock for hardy citrus, but that article suggests otherwise (for kumquats and calamondin). I would order from Four Winds Growers. They say they use dwarfing rootstock, but I am not sure what exactly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here