Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjeffery

Foliar Feeding with Miracid?

sjeffery
17 years ago

Hey everyone,

What is the correct amount of Miracid per gallon to use for foliar feeding? 1/4 tsp? I fertilize my containers 4 times per year w/Whitney's Avocado & Citrus food. Once per month I've been watering w/ 1/4 tsp per gallon of Miracid. I was thinking the plants would get more from a foliar feed of the Miracid, yes? Also, should the leaves be dry or should I spray when the morning dew is on them? Thanks! Stephanie

Comments (13)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Stephanie, you best read the box directions..Some say not to foliar feed. If it was organic food, like Fish Emulsion, that'd be different, but we're talking non-organic.
    Perhaps, someone here does foliar feed w/Miracid, so I hope if they do they come forth. Toni

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Stephanie I've been using Spray n Grow mixed with Cocowet and Bills Perfect Fertilizer for foliar feedings and am very happy with the results. I use it on all my plants. The Cocowet helps the solution adhere to the leaves. I buy it from New England Hydroponics. They sell it in a combo pack, each is 8oz for around $19.
    Karyn

• sjeffery
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karyn, thanks for the info. I actually have the Spray N Grow stuff. I bought it a good while ago and actually forgot about it.........DUH!!!! A few questions.....how often do you use it? Is it best to use it first thing in the AM? Wait till the leaves are dry? Thanks, Stephanie

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I apply it every 2-3 weeks. I do use it early in the day so the plants have time to dry. You can add ST into the mix also.
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, where do you find this stuff? Is there a website? Toni

• ejohnson44
    17 years ago

Toni
    Here is the website for spray and grow.
    http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/ Alot of the people over in the plumeria forum uses this. I also use but can't give opinion one way or the other because I don't use it on a regular basis.
    Ernie

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Toni I buy the trio from New England Hydroponics. I also buy my ST there. Surprisingly the trio is a dollar cheaper from NEH than it is from SnG directly. I think the address is neHydro.com. If not just type in the full name and you'll find it.
    Karyn

PS: You have one of those cool polka dotted plants I like in your pic of the topiaries. Is it a begonia?

• narcnh
    17 years ago

If you are looking to buy Spray-n-Grow, Bill's Perfect Fertilizer and Coco-Wet together, QVC offers a kit with 20 oz. each of SnG and BPF and 8 oz. of CW for $35.86. It's hard to do the comparative math, since volume usually means less cost per unit, but I still think it's a better deal than the New England Hydroponics offer of $19.95 for 8 oz. of each product, since you get 2.5 times more of SnG and BPF and the same amount of CW for less than 2x the price.

narcnh

Here is a link that might be useful: QVC SnG offer

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Narcnh thanks for that info. It's definitely a better deal and you use so little of the Cocowet anyway. I'll have to keep that in mind for when I need more. Do you know offhand if QVC carries Superthrive also? They just sell everything! lol That's where I got my first plumeria some years ago.
    Karyn

• narcnh
    17 years ago

Karyn,

Unfortunately, Superthrive is one of the few things on the planet QVC does not carry. BTW, if you run out of Coco-Wet, you can just add a couple of drops of dish detergent - has the same effect.

narcnh

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Thanks again.
    Karyn

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Karyn, are you refering to me about a pink polka dot plant?
    Narcnh, thanks to you and Karyn for the websites..Maybe I'll look into it next spring..right now money is tight and I too still need to buy a bottle of ST and hibiscus fertilizer.
    Karyn, I get my ST at www.plumeriapeople.com IN fact, I'm going to call them Mon to order a bottle. Their phone number is 713-728-2413 ST item number if 7410 @ 6.95
    I just ordered now that I was thinking of it..LOL..Got the ST and Hib food..that was easy..LOL..I just talked to the owner and he's a really nice guy..Toni

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Toni I don't think it's a pink polka dot. The leaves are dark green with white spots, fairly large and heart shaped. I might have been mistakened about seeing it in your pic. I'll have to take another look. I get the ST in 16 oz bottles and should probably buy it in a larger size. I won't need anymore until the spring and I'll probably get the 32 oz size then. I'm always reading about Walmart and HD carrying it but not here : (
    Karyn