Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banker74

A couple of citrus questions - including "is the CLM" ;-)

banker74
9 years ago

In July of 2012 we redid a hillside and planted Meyer Lemon, Mandarin, Holiday Avocado, Bearss Lime and Valencia Orange - all dwarf variants of the citrus according to the landscape contractor. Last year we got some good fruit, but this year it was practically nothing. The one exception is the avocado - we're getting a handful of them this year.

I've had a lot of issues w/ the leaves curling / discoloring / etc - primarily on the Bearss and Valencia. The Meyer is not doing well at all - I think it's getting too much water since it's on a level with some flowers that get a lot of spray. The Mandarin is also on a lower level, but it seems to be doing much better. Leaves tend to be in good shape and nice and dark. Not as much fruit this year as the first year, but still some coming in.

I'm posting some photos below and hope to get some feedback. I see some evidence of CLM, but there are some others that look simply like leaf curl. Not sure what I can/should do to treat. Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. New to actually using Google +, but below I'm trying to link to the Google Plus Album.

{{gwi:616129}}

{{gwi:616130}}

{{gwi:616132}}

{{gwi:616137}}

{{gwi:616139}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Plus Album

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I can't enlarge your photos to see and your link doesn't work for me, and you don't mention where you live, but based on your USDA zone, guessing San Diego/Orange County. CLM is very well established in our area, and we experience significant pest pressure from CLM in all parts of S. California. Certainly looks like CLM from what I can see. We have a plethora of recommendations and info on our forum about CLM, so won't beleaguer that point, just treat appropriately and you won't see the unsightly, but somewhat benign damage in thefuture. And, if you're Meyer lemon is getting hit by sprinklers, change that bed to drip, and make sure you're not over-watering your Meyer, as it can promote Phytophthora over-growth and root rot as well as foot rot/gummosis. Check the trunk for signs of bark damage. Citrus do not tolerate being hit by sprinklers. Be sure you're fertilizing at least 3-4 times a year, Starting in late winter/early spring, through about October if you're in S. California. Also, very unlikely you have "dwarf" citrus, but most likely 'semi-dwarf" rootstock, such as C35 or Troyer/Carrizo, unless you have your trees on Cuban Shaddock rootstock (from Four Winds) or on 'Flying Dragon' (even more unlikely, very few growers in California will graft to 'Flying Dragon'). Just so you know :-) And, your walkway and beds are lovely. Very beautiful.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

You mention your avocado doing well. Avocados and citrus are not very compatible when planted together; citrus are not good competitors for food and water, while avocados are ferocious competitors and will steal food from almost anything planted near them.

9 years ago

MIne are planted together on the same slope, John. They do just fine as long as they have enough room to grow. You'll see avocados and citrus planted together all over S. California without any ill effects. Just be sure you adjust watering and fertilizing to support both :-)

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

With the same feeding you can burn an avocado and starve a lemon; I know that from first hand experience, if they are planted together. I am not talking about nearby or in adjacent plantings; but of competing trees.

9 years ago

Yes, which is why you need to adjust your watering and your feeding accordingly, as I mentioned in my previous post :-) Not any different than having any other plant planted within proximity to citrus, really. Every plant will have it's own requirements, so don't treat them all the same. I have my roses planted on the same slope, right next to California natives. I water and fertilize my roses more than my natives (I don't fertilize my natives at all, as some of them fix their own N and fertilizing them can actually kill them). I water my avocados, and feed them more frequently than my citrus. All are doing well on the same large slope, as all those plants are treated differently, based on their specific needs. And, avocados need more fertilizer, more frequently as well as more water than citrus. They are quite heavy feeders and prefer to be fed often. In fact, most commercial avo growers here simply run "fertigation" systems, so their avos are fertilized with every watering. Also with being prophylactically treated for phytophthora with the fertization system as well. And, based on how banker has their trees planted, I would not categorize them as "competing". They are far enough apart to not be competing for same nutrients. My trees are about the same distance, and are doing just fine :-)

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 13:44

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH