Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_man73

Keeping citrus in black pots. Bad idea?

Mountain-Man
10 years ago

Picking up some citrus trees from the nursery in the typical black pots. It's supposed to be in the 80's for the next two weeks. Is this ok to leave them in their blacks pots for a half year? Thinking the roots might over-heat yes or no?
Also, they would be sitting on a concrete slab. It gets pretty hot.

Any tips?

Comments (9)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I paint mine. Works great and cheap.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Why not upsize to next pot. If these are at ground level on dirt, you could plant in a bottomless pot, or you could mound up potting soil in a hill. citrus seems to grow better when it is closest in ikn ground

sweet lee tangerine in 1 foot tall by 2 foot diameter hill
    {{gwi:118688}}

3 sweetlee tangerine tree in bottomless gallon tins
    {{gwi:586192}}

Perhaps this is an option for you. It has worked wonders for me.

Steve

• Mountain-Man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi!

I am pretty much trying to keep them portable. I plan on building a climate controlled greenhouse in the mountains so was wondering if there was one pot better than another to grow dwarf citrus in? I don't particularly have the time at the moment to repot so basically I was wanting to know if leaving them in the black pots might be detrimental?

Am I worrying about nothing?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Yes. It would be detrimental. Even a light gray or yellow pots get much hotter than gloss white. Try setting the pots inside a larger white pot or place the pot in with other plants so that the pot gets no sunlight. Leaving your pot as it is can cook the roots. The roots shut doun at high temperatures and deprive the leaves of water when the leaves it the most

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I paint mine too or wrap them in aluminum foil...

Pot in pot works great too surrounded by mulch.

Mike

• Mountain-Man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent! I was thinking it might. Thanks for confirming. I'll spray paint them white for the time being untill I can find some nice ones.

BTW, are there any advantages to keeping in clay pots vs. plastic? Or visa versa?

Thanks for all your advice.

• Ryan
    10 years ago

I use black pots whenever possible. I find cold roots are are much worse then hot roots. Containers are easy to shade, you can use anything during the hottest parts of the year. But come fall and spring you'll be happy they are in black. Clay(unless sealed or glazed) I would stay away from, they dry to quickly and unevenly, expensive and heavy.

I've herd of some guys painting the containers half white and flip them from one side to the other depending on the season.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    10 years ago

They will survive in the black pots but as posted earlier, get strained in hot sun or excessive cold. Do protect them from extremes.

I use bubble wrap as insulation with a bungee cord to secure the wrap. I have the ones in exposed sun wrapped loosely; 3/4 of the way around. I leave the side away from sun open so it can breathe, and fully wrapped in winter as insulation (top/soil is never covered).

BTW: All of mine are on dirt. I would lift or insulate from the hot concrete.

good luck!
    George K.

• Mountain-Man
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great ideas! Thanks!

That reminds me, I'm also using some old 7watt Christmas light strings to keep the pots warm during the cooler times of the year. Hadn't thought of the bubble wrap. my wife will be happy I'm getting it out of the house!

;-)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz