Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkwesa

Non-varigated fruit on a centennial kumquat - is it a mutation?

tkwesa
10 years ago

I spotted this strange fruit on my centennial kumquat. Its about the same size as the others on the tree but it is lacking the stripes. First pic is from july, the last is from august.
{{gwi:616245}}

{{gwi:616246}}

Comments (3)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Not a mutation, but reverting back to the non-variegated state. The variegated state IS a sport mutation :-) This is actually rather common with any variegated plant - the ability to revert back to the more dominant and stable non-variegated version. You can trim the branch to stop the loss of variegation if you'd like.

Patty S.

• Scott_6B
    10 years ago

Patty very well could be correct, but I am not 100% convinced. It appears that the leaves directly adjacent to the fruit are still variegated. If it were reverting to it's non-variegated form, I would expect these leaves to also not show any variegation.

I wouldn't trim of that branch yet, but rather put a tag on the branch and see what happens over time (you may have to wait until it flowers and sets fruit again to know what is going on). As I see it there are three possibilities: 1. It is reverting to the non variegated form. 2. It is just a random non-(or minimally) variegated fruit on an otherwise normal (variegated) branch 3. It is a new bud mutation in which the leaves are still variegated, but the fruit are now non-variegated (this is the least likely of the three options, but also the most interesting, as you would have a new citrus variety... maybe you could call it a Bicentennial kumquat LOL)

Leaving the branch in question on the tree for a year or two will not affect the rest of the tree. (i.e. it will not cause the rest of the tree to revert, etc...) If it turns out to be non-variegated (with non-variegated leaves), then you'll want to trim the branch off as Patty suggests, since the non-variegated branch will show more vigorous growth than the variegated parts of the tree.

• tkwesa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leaves on this branch are variegated and I havent seen any other differences besides the fruit. There was definitely no variegation in the fruit as soon as it came out. It went green to yellow (theres still a blush of green on it though.) Here is pic showing the leaves:

{{gwi:616247}}

This post was edited by tkwesa on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 9:10