Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer lemon infestation

Posted by meyerlemon_2009 20016 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 16:59

i have a mini Meyer lemon tree in a pot on my deck that's infested with the same hairy bugs that another post-er photographed: evidently it's cottony cushion scale. there's also the sticky "honeydew" substance someone mentioned, and the black sooty stuff on the leaves.

i spent last week out there with a toothbrush and dish soap, brushing all the bugs off. (right now they're in the small brown oval phase- not the hairy white/orange phase)-but they seem to have come back with a vengeance! there are lines of them on the underside of the leaves and along the branches.

what can i do about this infestation? pruning isn't really an option for me as the plant is so small! and since i have to move it inside in the fall/winter, the bugs are a real indoor issue.

thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer lemon infestation

Try pure neem oil such as dyna gro sells.

It should take care of the problem. I would suggest also purchasing an insecticidal soap and mixing the two together. The soap not only kills the bugs on contact, but acts as an emulsifier for the oil so it adheres to plant surfaces better.

The soap kills the soft bodied critters on contact and the neem oil sticks around to take care of anything left munching on the plant.

Neem oil is safe for beneficial bugs as it has to be ingested to work and it's safe for humans as it's modes of action don't affect us (it's used in some organic health care products that are ingested and applied to skin).

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 23:44

Which post are you referring to? Can you paste the link for us?

Someone posted hairy leaves due to giant whitefly. Is that what you're referring to?

o

It sounds like mealy bugs from your description. I would take a garden hose and try to wash off as many as you can. Force the water under the leaves. Then I would spray with an insecticidal soup. Repeated applications may be necessary but you can definitely get this under control. Citrus can be prone to a variety of insect pest--especially those that have to be overwintered in warm, dry homes. You can dramatically reduce bug problems in citrus by reducing winter temps and increasing humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here