Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Several branches emerging from one node - prune them?

cfox248
9 years ago

So my Moro is on the upswing. I came back from a long weekend to be greeted by a ton of new growth, and only one branch ended up dying, and it was just a little one - the first one that started to lose leaves.

The major growth is very concentrated in one spot - on one node, there are three branches growing. On the other side of the trunk there are two growing from one node and one growing about a half inch away.

I am ecstatic of course that it's doing so well, but should I prune any of the branches to just one per node? Or is it okay to let them grow? The only thing I would be concerned about is a nice area for mites and scale to hide, but if there's no harm in leaving them to grow I'd like to.

Here are some terrible pictures. It's so bright outside I am taking pictures blind, I can't see my phone screen and how well they are turning out! One is the overall growth, and one pic of each side.

{{gwi:616406}}

{{gwi:616408}}

{{gwi:616410}}

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Often, vigorous shoots that occur around lignified (woody) branches, especially those below established branches, will cause the decline and eventual death of the established branch. Also, if you don't remove all but one branch growing at the same ht on a trunk or main branch, you'll have a heavy swelling there that can significantly affect eye appeal, so rubbing those adventitious buds off as they occur is a good practice, as is rubbing off or pruning any branch/bud as soon as you see it in any unwanted location.

If you're not too critical about eye appeal, handlebar branches (two branches at the same ht but on opposite sides of the trunk) are ok, but several branches all in close proximity to each other should be thinned. The exception to that is if you're intentionally growing a broom standard, which is sort of a straight trunk with all the branches radiating from very close to the same point - sort of like a lollipop.

Did you prune that tree hard recently?

Al

• cfox248
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't mind eye appeal at all, but if it'll be detrimental to the tree I'll prune. I have not pruned anything at all from the tree save for the branch that died back when it had a bit of a soil problem recently. I noticed a lot of growth before I left for the weekend and figured I'd see what was up when I got back, and came back to what you see in the pics!

So, then... On the left side of the trunk, I should take off all of the new shoots, since they're close to the established branch?

And on the other side I will prune and leave the strongest and healthiest branch?

Sad day to be cutting off such nice new growth! But, if it's for the overall betterment, I will do it.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Lower branches in poor positions are often prone to diseases and infestation as the branches immediately above them shade them out and their metabolism slows, so they're not a good thing. Ideally, even if it's not the tree's natural growth habit, branches arranged more or less at 90* to each other with plenty of space between the branches and no branch growing immediately above another branch offers the best opportunity for good health and eye appeal.

Al

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

This is an interesting question and answer for me too as some of my trees have the same issue. Thanks for the information. I too will prune accordingly.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

This is an interesting question and answer for me too as some of my trees have the same issue. Thanks for the information. I too will prune accordingly.

Cory

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner