Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
omni_gw

Meyer's Lemon staying green

Omni
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Meyer's lemon tree that I bought in the very beginning of June. Since then, it has had about 5-6 lemons right out of the store and they were green. I've put the lemon tree in a pot with some miracle gro gardening/vegetable soil. Since then, its been almost 3 months and although the lemons have grown in size, they're still on the tree and have not ripened. Is this normal?

Is it the soil? Can anyone anyone help?

(I'm in central NJ)

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Patience, Omni. Meyers in your area will normally be ready to harvest and will turn yellow beginning in November. From bloom to harvest is normally 6-7 months for a Meyer.

• Omni
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, okay! So its normal for these lemons to be like this?

Thanks a lot!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Yes. Perfectly normal.

Patty S.

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Omni,
    I thought I would share with you my experience with my Meyer lemon tree. I also live in zone 6. Now last year my Meyer lemons started growing around July-August, and they are just starting to ripen for me, and that was even with the tree growing under a 600 watt HPS light.

I live in western NY, so our sun intensity isn't the same as what people in the citrus belt have. This summer has been mostly cool and rainy so I blame that on why my fruits are just now ripening. I will say thought that I have a couple fruits that I thought were done growing but they got even larger. Just be patient and they will ripen for you.

I also want to say that it is very important to keep them in full sun when they are turning from green to yellow. I found that there flavor was much better when the fruits were getting at least 6-8 hours of direct sun.

Good luck and keep us posted on your meyer lemons! I promise that once you get your first properly tree ripened fruits, it will be worth all the hard work!

Andrew

• Omni
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for sharing your experience, Andrew! I will keep steadfast in this endeavor! I continuously passed the lemon tree and every day for the past 3 months and I was just wondering why it wasn't yellowing. I thought there was something wrong but this is normal, as you guys have affirmed!

Also, Andrew, it seems like I will need to keep the tree in a light source during the fall/winter time, as I will not get enough light in my house. Main concern is the cost of running a grow light on this tree. How much is your electricity bill?

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Omni,
    I thought I would share with you my experience with my Meyer lemon tree. I also live in zone 6. Now last year my Meyer lemons started growing around July-August, and they are just starting to ripen for me, and that was even with the tree growing under a 600 watt HPS light.

I live in western NY, so our sun intensity isn't the same as what people in the citrus belt have. This summer has been mostly cool and rainy so I blame that on why my fruits are just now ripening. I will say thought that I have a couple fruits that I thought were done growing but they got even larger. Just be patient and they will ripen for you.

I also want to say that it is very important to keep them in full sun when they are turning from green to yellow. I found that there flavor was much better when the fruits were getting at least 6-8 hours of direct sun.

Good luck and keep us posted on your meyer lemons! I promise that once you get your first properly tree ripened fruits, it will be worth all the hard work!

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    10 years ago

Hi Omni,
    I honestly didn't see a huge hike in running my light. Maybe....$6 more?? I promise it is worth every penny too. It is what clearly made the difference between me being able to keep my trees happy and growing, instead of sulking and dropping leaves, flowers, and even worse FRUIT!!!

The key is finding the best, most energy efficient light you can afford. I vit the bullet and bought my 600 watt HPS light. When I started looking into them, I couldn't find many options that were less than $300 until I found the light I have now. It came with hood, ballast, bulb....everything you need for less than $250! The only catch is that my set up doesn't include a cooling fan so I have to run a separate fan to keep the ballast from overheating. The replacement bulbs also are pretty reasonable. I pay around $30 including shipping!

Andrew

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES