Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon nailed with DEET! :-(

Posted by jgpyke z7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 18:06

I am completely heartbroken. After coddling my potted Meyer lemons for the past three years, I was finally ready to get a decent crop...

That is, until my daughter and niece decided to coat themselves in DEET while standing right next to my plants yesterday. The leaves are now spotted, having lost green pigmentation in the spots (looks like Roundup overspray, for example). The fruits are likewise spotted, the shiny green citrus skin eaten away to the pith, in spots.

What should I do? Let it go, as is, and hope the plants and fruits survive? And if so, can I eat these lemons when they're finally ripe, three or four months from now? Or do I cut off all parts of the plants, including the fruits, that got hit with the DEET.

I am so bummed right now. Any help or encouragement would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Garvey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon nailed with DEET! :-(

I think you're fine, Garvey, just hose down your little tree best you can. Meyer's are very hardy citrus, it will rebound nicely, and any DEET that might have been absorbed should be gone and out of the fruit by the time you're ready to eat it. The tree will still need those damaged leaves for photosynthesis, so try to over look the damage and next time, tell the kids to watch it! I had a very similar thing happen to a stunning Echeveria 'Afterglo' that got sprayed with suntan oil last summer, which promptly ruined the dusty finish and etched little spots in it. I was heartsick, but it's recovered and doing fine, now. I think your Meyer will be fine, and so will the fruit. I'd just let it recover, and wash it down thoroughly.

Patty S.

o

it should be ok, spray it down with some soapy water, then rinse it off really well.

o

Thanks, y'all. I gave it a washing/drenching. I truly appreciate the advice and encouragement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here