Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbobbers_gw

Orange tree leaves look funny

bobbobbers
10 years ago

Hello,

I planted an orange tree, also a meyer lemon tree. They were cuttings that were pre planted I got from Home Depot. I looked up directions online, watched two YouTube videos, and pretty much followed them to the letter when I replanted them. That was probably beginning of spring this year, and I live just south of Houston. The orange tree I put in the ground. The lemon, in an old half of a whiskey barrel.

Anyway, the lemon tree came with lemons on it, which ripened and we picked and ate, they were good. The orange tree was bare. The orange tree has been fairly healthy and generated a fair amount of fruit, which is still green. In the past 3 months or so, some of the limbs on the orange tree have discolored leaves. The leaves look scaly, splotchy, and shriveled. However, other branches look healthy, and the fruit looks fine.

Hopefully you can see it in the attached pic. Any idea what I should do? I also put a "citrus tree fertilizer spike" at the recommended distance. The lemon tree has the same problem, but worse, and hasn't grown significantly or produced any new fruit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbm8xpqel9lluhv/Photo%20Aug%2018%2C%204%2023%2035%20PM.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:616722}}

This post was edited by bobbobbers on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 18:16

Comments (12)

• bobbobbers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also sprayed some "vegetable/fruit friendly" insecticide several months ago. I haven't sprayed any in a while, wasn't sure if it was helping or hurting...

This post was edited by bobbobbers on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 18:26

• bobbobbers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Orange pic

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by bobbobbers on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 18:23

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Need to see image of individual affected leaves.

Perhaps citrus leafminer?

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

looks like citrus leaf miner. regular insecticide won't work.

you'll need to find spinosad. you should be able to find GreenLight Spinosad at Lowes.

• bobbobbers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up. Looking at other pics of leaf miner infected leaves, I think it does kind of look like that. Should I look for the actual moth/worm? Besides getting the recommended spray and following its instructions, should I prune Infected branches or will they perk up?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Citrus Leafminer. The damage is done, but you can treat now to prevent further damage. Bayer Advanced Fruit & Vegetable Insect Control (Imidacloprid) can tree this systemically, but you really do need to apply about 2 weeks before you see CLM in your area. You don't mention where you're from in your "Zone" section, but here for me, in S. California, I need to apply in June, at least by mid-June, to give the product enough time to travel from the roots to the newest growth (which is what CLM likes to leave it's eggs under, so that the larvae can hatch and easily tunnel into the tender leaves). I only need to treat once a year, those in other areas of the county need to treat twice, once right before first flush in early spring, and then again, in June/July. Or, you can spray with a combination of Spinosad and a hort oil (like Neem or Volck), starting about a week or so before CLM hits your area, and continue to spray every 3 weeks through the season (again, not sure what that is for you, for me, through October.) Just don't use a hort oil if temps threaten to go above 85 degrees, or you'll fry your leaves. Also, be sure to spray in the evening, after the bees have gone back the their hives, and try to avoid blossoms if you can.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC IPM: Citrus Leafminer

• bobbobbers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks so much you guys are awesome. I live south of Houston. About 25 miles from the gulf coast.

Here is a picture of the underside of a leaf. I don't know if this is CLM in some stage, or something else. I only found this on two leaves. White stuff and some tiny bugs in and around it.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

no pruning necessary. Those leaves are still producing food for the tree. When the leaves are no longer productive the tree will with draw
    anything it can from the leaf and then it will be discharged

• bobbobbers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Better pic

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Cotton Cushiony Scale eggs or citrus mealy bug eggs? (see the ants already farming). Rhizo, where are you?? Apply Bayer, and you can also hose these off. Treat for ants as well, around your trees.

Patty S.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Cottony cushion scale eggs are located within the white egg sac that the scale carries around....the 'cushion ' is filled with bright red eggs. I'm not sure what the white stuff is in the picture. Wooly aphids come to mind. The ants sure are interested, aren't they?

That sure is a terrible infestation of leaf miners! The worst of the leaves are useless to the plant.

• noah99
    6 years ago

Hello, Bobobbers here (where that account came from I can't recall). I received great advice from folks on this thread. Here we are 4 years later, last year the Orange tree did great and I had a lot of fruit. Unfortunately this year I've been busy with work and out of town a lot and last time I looked there was a lot of leaf miners again, which I thought I had put down the Bayer in the winter/fall but this today when I went and looked I was greatly distressed to see all the leafs on the top (newer) branches were gone! The branches look fairly unhealthy to me and the leafs down low are still hanging in there but a little sickly. There is some fruit on the tree, not as much as last year but some. Should I put down Bayer now? I thought it was not to be put out when the tree was flowering? I guess I need to be more careful to write on the Bayer bottle the dates I treated the tree. Any advice? Things I should check? Should I prune the top branches or is there a way I can check to see if they are goners?