Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bibbus

Overwintering my lime plant inside

bibbus 7b
9 years ago

So my lime plant is two years old and looks healthy. The first winter it dropped half of its leaves after I brought it indoors gradually. I assumed that it was the lack of light even though the room I kept it in was sunny in the morning with some afternoon light. So last winter I found a friend with a sun room. She has a plant business so she knows more than basic plant care. But my lime dropped even more leaves! She suggested it might be the lack of humidity indoors. The leaves are nice and green now after being outside this summer. I was thinking about purchasing a humidifier but they aren't cheap. Can I get the humidity I'll need by putting a bowl of water over the heating vent and maybe using some watering trays near the lime? I'm trying to get my plan ready for the winter even though its several months away. Any other thoughts about the leaf drop?

Comments (5)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

use a bread bake pan filled with water and hang a cloth towel from a towel rack such that it hangs in the water. You can muse more than one set up.

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hi...

Humidity is not an issue for citrus being inside although it is appreciated...I grow all my trees inside and most without humidity and without leaf drop unless they get too little sunlight in warm temps...

What concerns me is the light..How much light does your tree get and how high do you keep the temps?

What kind of mix do you grow in? That too is a very important factor..

Lets see if you can be successful this time around)

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 20:45

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hi...

Humidity is not an issue for citrus being inside although it is appreciated...I grow all my trees inside and most without humidity and without leaf drop unless they get too little sunlight in warm temps...

What concerns me is the light..How much light does you tree get and how high do you keep the temps?
    What kind of mix do you grow in? That too is a very important factor..

Mike

• bibbus 7b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep the temperature around 68 in my house in the winter but this room gets much warmer on a sunny day - its the sunniest and warmest in the house. But I do turn my heat down when I travel - to 55 - 58 degrees. I'm gone for three weeks in Dec and again in Feb or March as well as another week each month. I really can't justify keeping the heat up just for my plant! Maybe I just have to live with the leaf drop.

As for the soil, I tried to get as close to gritty mix as I could when I potted the lime a year or so ago.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Hi bibbus...

The reason why I asked is because they are, that is 'Lime Trees', notorious for dropping leaves with too much warmth and a lack of sunshine or unhappy roots...Too much warmth and a lack of sunlight use to cause leaf drop on all my limes...But they always came back..

The only other issue then if the amount of sunlight provided is ok, is the mix..
    I have the feeling the bottom of your pot is still holding too much water..Have you ever check it out.?
    Before it comes in, the sooner the better, lift your tree out and see what the bottom 2/3rds of the roots and mix looks like..
    If you are bringing your pot inside during the adjustment period, your tree will not take up water for a few days leaving your roots to die off, just enough for it to shed it's leaves it can't keep up with..It can be happen within a matter of days.

This is what I would do to reiterate..

I would check the roots and soil towards the bottom of the pot like as of yesterday.
    If the mix is holding to much moisture down there, repot it into a better made porous mix in which the particle sizes are about equal in size so it will dry out evenly towards teh bottom, very important.
    It's ok if you made it wrong the first time, it took me years to get it just right.
    I would make sure the mix is still holding its structure too.

If it is holding too much moisture, then you could wick if you are not up for repotting.

One last thing, just before you bring your potted tree inside, not only acclimate to less light, but bring the pot in dry, wait until the pot is barely moist and then water inside when it needs it...

The lack of heat would be much better than a very warm room, but as long as your roots are very healthy and they still function as suppose to, it will will make a great recovery if you should loose a few leaves here and there.
    It is very EASY to get root rot on a lime tree if the mix is not just so and leaf drop...

Mike