Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help id this lemon

Posted by encinoman CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 18:31

Hi,

I could use some help ID'ing this lemon, and by extension the tree it came from. We live in Encino CA, and are not sure whether we have an old tree that's gone "bad" or some species we not familiar with.

All the fruits are hollow in the center and very thick skinned compared to store bought lemons. (see pic) As far as taste, its very mild, not very sweet or sour.

The tree is very thorny. The tree's newer branches seem to be growing longer (1 inch ) thorns. So part of this research is for figuring a pruning strategy.

thanks

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help id this lemon

Seems like the rootstock has takenover the grafted scion in your tree and hence you are seeing the extremely thorny branches and insipid fruit of the rootstock taking over the tree.
I suggest that you take a really close look at the bottom part of the trunk of your tree to figure out whether you have a graft line visible. Also check if there are two "types" of foliage and two types of fruit. If so, then the thornier part with the useless fruit (which I am assuming has taken over the tree) needs to be pruned to below the graft line. In time the scion will take over again and your tree might get healthy. On the other hand, you can get rid of the existing tree and make a fresh start to save time and effort. Keep us posted.

o
RE: help id this lemon

Yes, agree completely with ashleysf.
Looks to me like Rough Lemon (Citrus jambhiri)- often used as rootstock - has taken over. A google will give plenty of info on this variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here