Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Do I have a problem?

Suzy11
10 years ago

My calamadin is loaded with green fruit of all sizes. It is leaning to one side and the pot has tipped over twice. I am moving it carefully now but from the weight almost everyday it looks like it is leaning more. Will it be okay if I wait until the fruit is ready to pick? A few cal. Are beginning to turn yellow but are not quite an inch and are mainly still green.

Comments (21)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I would prune back the branches on the "long" side; and eat whatever fruits that cuts. Calamondin in most of the world are eaten as "lemons" while still green; you may find they are already beginning to color on the inside.

Do you turn your pot regularly? Could be with that brick wall the tree is growing in the direction of the most heat.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi John! Great info thanks. Yep I turn it but I didn't know about the heat in the wall. I was trying to keep the bush away from the flowers in the bed because the branches got caught yesterday and the bush tipped. I will do better now.
    I have never pruned before and am afraid to hurt the tree. I have heard that you cut on an angle. The way that the leaves are going. Does that sound right?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

If you cut back to a leaf node, the new growth will come from that node; or maybe it will branch... in any case be sure where you cut will produce new growth in the direction you want it to go. FYI pruning citrus does not retard growth, it stimulates it. Be sure you use good quality, sharp pruning shears; and disinfect the blades before and after with bleach.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay thank you John

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I'd repot in larger pot and add a stake to tie it to.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will but can't now because of the fruit and it is has one or two buds

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

What Dave said. I normally would not suggest to stake a tree, but your little Calamondin is growing so fast and happily, that a stake for a wee bit might be in order. Just stake loosely. And, you can repot if you do it very carefully. I think one of our very clever container citrus forum members did this but very carefully NOT disturbing the rootball. They placed the original pot into the larger pot, and packed the soil around it (added soil to the bottom of the larger pot, first, then packed soil around the original smaller container). Packed it well enough so the soil stayed in place. Then, carefully pulled out the smaller pot, removed the pot, then carefully set the rootball into the indentation in the larger pot. Watered in, topped with a little bit of soil to make sure all air spaces were filled in, and voila. Up-potted successfully.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks patty! can you do that with the fruit on the tree?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I am getting it repoted & have cut off some fruit.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I would go Patti's route over all others. I really hate trimming good growth off of small trees. However, if a waterspout appears I would let it go and let it take dominance and it will become the main trunk. My meiwa kumquat tree did that and it is a much nicer tree now that the waterspout has branched out.

enjoy the calamondins and let things happen

Steve

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

You should only let watersprouts grow if you are desperate for growth of the tree. Almost always watersprouts should be pruned back to the level of the general canopy. If you let the watersprout become the dominant element of the tree, you will be encouraging something other than what you originally purchased.

For the record...NO ONE grows citrus like "Poncirusguy"... there must be some reason.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

This is about your tree, not mine. I would still go with Patti or daves idea. your tree is very small and better yet the fruit of the calamondin is small and will not stress the tree. Jonmurr is an excellent orchardist with lots of knowledge but he is looking for perfection in his trees for profitable production. He does not have time to pamper trees as we do.

He is correct that no one grow citrus like me. click the link below to see what he mean with how I grew my meiwa kumquat from seed

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/Bucket%20light%20system

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I sent you to the wrong link. Here is the correct link.

There is nothing wrong with your tree. You can leave it along. It is unique as well as attractive.You may have to anchor the pot to a support board and clip the lite edge down

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well now, water sprouts are simply precocious growth. Most all citrus will exhibit this, if conditions are favorable. As long as the water sprout emanates from above the graft, you're growing the cultivar. As John mentions, pruning the crazy growth to the edge of the canopy will help to settle down the water sprout, and it will eventually produce fruit spurs. I wouldn't cut off any fruit at this time until after you re-pot. If you are very careful and very gentle, and do not disturb the rootball, the tree may not even know you're re-potted it :-) Let the little tree tell you whether or not you need to trim off fruit. Calomondins, like Kumquats, are very sturdy cultivars, and not temperamental at all.

Patty S.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wondering. Why do you think that I should repot? Do you think that I should wait until after I pick the friuit? I picked some. John had told me to do that once with my meyer, I had forgotten. It helped some. I will send a picture in a few minutes. It still needs some help. What will rep[otting do? I may get it repotted.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very interesting pictures Steve. Thanks for the link. I have a friend who started Meyer trees from seeds. She sent me one. It is now nine months.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is how my tree looks today

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is how my tree looks today

{{!gwi}}

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Suzy

I am a little confused. The tree pictured above, is it the calamondin that you have set vertical. It just occurred that it is the meyer lemon. If it is I must say it looks fantastic. The reason i looked back is to see if you are talking about the same tree in the help Patti request. I thought this tree "calamondin" had already been straightened. Either way I would love to have a citrus of mine look as good as either one of those.

Steve

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Steve. That is the calamodin after I cut off 50 calamodins. I really like how she fanned out. She is leaning though. The trunk is loose. Looks worse now. Have to get her repotted. My meyer is 9 months.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My first meyer died in June. I think that everyone here helped to try and save it ESP. John, mike, mike,josh and patty. Hope that I didn't miss anyone. I am very thankful.