Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serge94501

When does your Costco bring out the citrus?

serge94501
9 years ago

IIRC, ours show up in March.

Comments (9)

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Here in Sonoma County, it shows up sometime around Chinese new year, with the arrival of kumquats. Then, about a month later, in late march, we get the rest. This year I got an 'Oro Blanco' grapefruit and a 'Fukushu' kumquat. They changed growers from WN to Frantz, and the soil mix is much better, before it was basically silt, and heavy!

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Ours show up in February from willits & newcomb.
    Evan

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

As far as i recall, NorCal Costco's carried citrus from three growers this past season... (Burchell, Frantz, and Willits&Newcomb). - mostly due to high demand and limited supply. There is a bit of a push to limit sourcing from SoCal due to ACP risks. They show up in March and fade away by June.
    However, i have to say the selection and maturity (trunk diameter and therefore better freeze toughness) of the W&N products were better than the others.

Not sure what the issue is about the soil mix Northbay, i prefer the W&N soil as it stays together when you pull the root ball out of the container. Most all other brands' ( at Costco and other) soil falls apart so you are nearly bare-rooting! Then again, perhaps that is better if you are potting them.
    -George

• serge94501
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trunk diameter is what I am after (for grafting). Thanks for the info, George!

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Santa Rosa does not have a garden center. Rohnert Park does, though.
    The problem I have had with the WN mix is that their potting soil basically turns into a water repelling brick when planted in the ground, plus, it's really heavy. This is from my own personal experience, and may not be true for everyone. For the price and size of the plants, I'm willing to do the extra work of bare rooting them.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    9 years ago

Ahh yes, Rohnert Park was what i was thinking - thank you!

"a water repelling brick" describes my soil in Napa as well as Danville when dry. So for me, its been a great match. :-)

• mr_z1
    9 years ago

Ours in Southern Cali shows up about the same time. However, we get W&N 5gal containers and let me tell you, these trees look like 7gals+ for 18.99. The soil they use is crushed granite which is super heavy but almost guarantees you can't over water it. I removed more than 50% of the granite when I re-potted and the citrus tree was in shock for about 6 months because of it.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

The one tree I have from them, a variegated pink lemon is a really nice tree. The trunk was very thick when I planted it. I am going to keep an eye out again in the early spring for an improved Meyer or maybe an Italian lemon variety.