Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illidanx

What to do with tall tree branches?

illidanx
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have a lime tree at my window. Some of its branch have grown over the window height, hence not able to receive sun light. I live in an apartment and I don't have a garden or a balcony. What should I do to these branches?
1. top it off
2. bend the branch to the side
3. do nothing and let the tree correct itself.
4. install lighting system on the ceiling (I'd rather not do this unless there is no other choice).

Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Place the pot on a stand in front of the window sill such that the top is about 8 inches below the sill. You can spread the limbs wide at the bottom to curve up. Each limb will have its own window. Take your time month / years spreading the limbs so they don't break. Tip the pot towards the window so the tops get as much light as possible.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

illidanx, you can put the pot on the ground, but you're still going to see the same strange growth pattern. This is do to etiolation - your tree is not receiving enough light, so it is "stretching" to try to find more light. Your tree is show classic sight of not receiving enough light. I would suggest that you prune these long branches down, and then install additional light. Also, to help prevent this phenomena, if you can bring your citrus tree outside during your warmer months, this will stop the etiolation, and you'll get some additional flush from the leaf nodes, filling out your little tree.

Patty S.

• illidanx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks poncirusguy and Patty.

I think I will follow both of your advices. I will spread the limbs of the tree and install additional lights. I will refrain from trimming off the tree at the moment. I don't have any balcony or garden, so bring it out is not an option for me.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

If your tree is a grafted tree, go ahead and nip the top to encourage branching. If this tree is seed grown and you want fruit, you'll do best letting it grow but additional light will be mandatory whether its from seed or grafted. If you let the tree grow tall before branching out you can grow a collection of small plants in their own containers underneath the lime. You can keep lowering it till it hits the floor. I provide extra light in the off season so that the heat helps heat my house instead of fight my air conditioner. If you have an east window use it instead of ma souther window on the sumer side of the equinox. The light is higher quality for a longer duration of time. For most places in the united states the east and west windows are better than a south window from the beginning of spring to the end of summer.

Steve

• illidanx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@poncirusguy: it's from seed. I don't care about fruits, I just want the leaves. Thanks for the suggestion about east window, I am using east window now for the spring and summer, then switch to south window for the fall and winter.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I forgot to say in the warm months I have bright white curtains I pull behind the tree so the light is sent back to the dark side of the tree. This usually more than doubles and sometimes triples the available light to the tree.

Steve

• illidanx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@poncirusguy: thanks for the tip. i will try it.