Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazygrower582

Meyer Lemon Tree problem

CrazyGrower582
9 years ago

My Meyer lemon is two years old, about 15 inches tall, with one branch (as in picture). It currently has about six leaves, about a month ago it had like 12 leaves but they fell of all in two days. I have to questions
1. What's wrong with my lemon, it's in well drained soil and gets lots of sun?
2. It finally has some buds on it, should I let them go to fruit?

Comments (10)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Let the flowers bloom and set fruit. then break the fruit off so the energy goes into foliage and root production. Let the soil dry a bit between each watering.

Steve

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Sad... too wet, too little light, maybe too little food.

Here are my Meyers at 2 years.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Ny God John, wow...

Crazy, why not put the Zone where you live next to your name and the area you live so we can provide better instructions?

It could be just to darn cold at night like my area to push any growth this summer..That pot is of clay? Do you fertilize? With what and how often?

You are right, something is definitely wrong there..

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

John

Very nice trees. Here is my sweetlee tangerine tree at at 19 months since sprouting. I grew this one for top grafting to meiwa kumquats sice I was unable to graft to my PT's. They are not self fruitful and I my graft Meyer lemons to the sweetlee, if I can.

Steve

• mr_z1
    9 years ago

Epic 2yr old Meyers John.

• blazeaglory
    9 years ago

Its easy to get citrus that big when the soil you are growing them in is choc full of nutrients...John is growing in middle or south America if I recall?

Meyers grow themselves if given the chance in the proper soil.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Exactly. An environment none of mine will ever see.
    Those of us that can mimic as close to it as possible are the most successful.

That means well draining mixes , good fertilizer , lots of sun and warmth and the perfect water pH.

I think many should think of this before they decide to grow any citrus in pots in cold climates at all )

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

John also lives in the Shangri-La valley. He has spring weather 24-7-365.25 along with perfect humidity balance.

blazeaglory : -- John has always emphasized the important need of heavy feeding for Meyer lemon trees. The 2 real big advantages I have going for my tree are: I have mastered growing in an over sized pot with out the wet root problems associate with such. Second, I provide the tree with high quality light during the indoor season of my zone 6a.

I take it you do also share the same success by maintaining a growing medium chock full of nutrients be it a potted or in ground tree. Would you share a picture of your tree with a detailed description of your growing practices. What kind of feed do you use. Thanks for the compliment on my well fed tree.

The picture below shows my 3 sweetlee's at 1 year from seed with the light grow box they reside in for 5 months each year. The link gives a very good description on the trees and the box they grow in that allows them such good growth.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaASoeaBErs

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:19

• CrazyGrower582
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I live in zone 5, yah yah I know not the perfect place for citrus, I feed it once a week, and bring it in during winter, during which I give it a growlight. It was growing well in till a while ago during which like I said earlier the leaves just fell of, oh and I'm sure it not bug damage

• CrazyGrower582
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, so I live in zone 5, yah yah I know not the perfect place for citrus, I feed it once a week, and bring it in during winter, during which I give it a growlight. It was growing well in till a while ago during which like I said earlier the leaves just fell of, oh and I'm sure it not bug damage