Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proud owner of a new 'Ponderosa' lemon tree.

Posted by andrew78 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 19:36

Decided to destress by going to a local greenhouse and checking out the plants. Most of there stuff they sell are not tropicals or anything that I am interested in but I did find a couple nice fruiting fig trees and some small rooted Ponderosa lemon trees. I was going to grab 2 but decided 1 would be good enough for now. This tree has some growing to do. It's about 4 inches tall and maybe 3 wide. I am excited as this variety blooms freely with VERY fragrant blooms and HUMUNGOUS fruits that can grow to the size of a football!

I have seen them once this sized at the Niagra falls conservatory.

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proud owner of a new 'Ponderosa' lemon tree.

Andrew:

That is one of the best ways to de-stress, or you could ask Patty for a glass of fresh lemonade and a walk through her yard!
Oh, you will LOVE that little guy! They are so fun to grow and shape as they mature. They flower like mad and get huge fruit on such tiny plants.
Please post a picture of it when you can. Now Josh and I have one with you.

Congrats man!

Mike

o

Thanks Mike,
You know that ol saying, "ASk and you shall recieve"? I was really wanting another lemon tree SO BADLY and thankfully I found this locally.

I know I can expect blooms now but man, it will be a while before I have fruits.

Ponderosa lemons are perfect for citrus beginners. IMO, they are very tolerant. Low light, high light, they even seem to do better when in drought conditions.

I bought my mother one of these about 7 years ago. I paid about $30 for a tree that was about 3ft tall and wide. Right now that tree is holding about 10 lemons!! IT made a great gift for her, though, I have had to go over there a few times now to help her with bug busting..lol.

Ooh Mike, did I tell you I am now totally plumeria crazed!?!
I just bought another making my numbers somewhere in the 60's!! I had a bunch given to me, and I traded some, but I cannot wait for next year when these tropical gems will start blooming. I will have to get pics of them when there blooming!

Andrew

o

I have two plumerias at my Meyer Lemon farm...along with 1 or 2 of a WIDE variety of fruit trees; I suppose you know the traditional Hawaiian lei is made with plumeria blossoms.

As for citrus only ...on my farm, in addition to 3,000 Meyers plus 84 in my budwood grove, I have 4 valencia orange, 4 Wash. navels, 3 Spanish sugar oranges, 3 Chandler pomelos, 3 Oro Blanco pomelos, 3 Pixie mandarins, 4 Criollo lemons (Jamaican lime), 2 Macrophyllas (seed stock) a kumquat, and 2 Persian limes. None are producing yet, as I only bought the land and started the development in Feb. 2010; but some of the Meyers bloomed at 10 months, and I expect most all to bloom strong in January and produce a lot of fruit next year. In 3 years I will be producing a million fruits per year; and another million by my first associate grower.
Have fun with your Ponderosa; I don't have one of those.

o

John: What in the world are you going to do with all that fruit once you do? Will you sell to the public? I can only imagine the fragrance once they are all in bloom! Oh if only I owned that many trees.
How do you watch for pest invasion would be my most big concern.

Andrew! You know how I fell about Plumeria..lol
They all bloomed this year with no effort at all. What gives?
60 Plumeria! I knew you when you didn't even have one.
How is the egg method working out for them?
I hope they reward you big time next year!
I almost bought a Mango, but was to concerned that they required longer hours of direct HOT sun more than my area can provide. I can't even get a DR to bloom more than 2 flowers at a time. I would get one if we had a longer growing season and more intense sun like Virginia and anywhere south of that.

You are SO right about them being easy to grow. Even before I joined the forums, the only citrus I could keep alive with such a lack of knowledge and experience was the Ponderosa. They are the ones that get the least direct sun all winter too.

MIke

o

HEy Mike,
Actually, I did have some plumeria when I first met you but not many....JUST RECENTLY HAVE I BECOME OBSESSED LMAO!!!

I'm telling ya the egg method is awesome!!! IT really thickens those fragile roots up quickly. If you can Mike...just try it with one and plant it in a clear plastic pot. I swear, in 6 months(maybe even shorter if the plumeria is out in full sun and temps over 80),you will see for yourself.

You will even see how the roots seek out that egg, and the roots end up doubling in girth!!

I will NOT repot unless I have the eggs! IT's not worth it to me, and I have found that I end up with much better blooms.

Also, I FINALLY got a fig tree collection going!! I have 7 diffrent varieties now and I will have one more to add here very soon. I tried my first ripe fig and it was DELICIOUS!! To me the flavor is very tropical and yummy!

Man, I am not going to convince you on growing mango am I!! I'm telling ya...my citrus take more light and in general there 100% less finicky!!

I will have to email some pics of mine. I also cannot get my D.R. to bloom but there seedlings.

Your actually warmer and you have a longer growing season than I do. The mango will bloom in the early spring and will ripen before you have to bring them indoors. I hate to see you rob yourself of such an awesome experience just because you don't think you have enough light! Cmon Mike were's your sense of adventure?!

Take care,
Andrew

o

Pests are not a huge problem for field grown citrus, even here in the tropics. I do have problems with leaf cutter ants (Zampopo in Spanish) and occasionally Esperanza (Katydid grasshopper)... Mirex controls the former and Sevin the latter. Lots of other pests, but unless there is a plague, it's best to let them eat a few leaves, rather than try for total control. As for detection I crisscross the field 3 times per week and check sample trees. Things like scale, fungus, etc. are mitigated by annual sprays. I fertilize 3 times per year Jan/May/Sept.
As for the fruits, the plan is to export them; but also sell "locally" in Central America as "Chef Lemon" for gourmets and restaurants...the Meyer variety is unknown in Central America; so it will require some education to introduce them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here