Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Pink Lemonade: Not a dud any more

MrClint
10 years ago

My Pink Lemonade has finally turned a corner, and I can no longer call it a dud. For the past 3+ years it has flowered, dropped every single fruit, and not grown very much at all.

This spring I dosed with Gro-Power High N, applied tanglefoot and watered regularly. What a difference a little TLC can make. It's holding a lot of fruit right now, looks pretty plush, and has easily grown by a third. Special thanks to hoosierquilt for the Gro-Power suggestion! It isn't a fully organic fertilizer, but it's close enough for my comfort.
{{gwi:122419}}

Comments (13)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Congratulation, Your tree looks very nice and healthy. It is always fun when your plants grow well. I have just started giving my trees a lot more food and water this spring through summer and WOW what a difference it makes.

I just planted my sweet lee tangerine seed 1-1-13 and here it is now after good feeding and watering..

{{gwi:576613}}

I hope your tree grows trouble free for you from now on.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I thought is was so neat to see a thread show success and what you did for this success that a lot of other would share their successes to. I enjoyed it.

mrclint Could you post a pic showing the entire tree. I would like to see it. I f you want to see my pics you can open access to my photobucket by clicking on the picture above. My pics are public

Steve

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

poncirusguy, I bought this tree and planted it in a prominent spot off my back porch. The variegated foliage was initially very appealing. But the tree just sat there and did almost nothing but bloom a little periodically. It had me soured (pun intended) on variegated citrus in general. Now it is living up to its potential, and is truly an edible ornamental.

{{gwi:617466}}

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful....It makes me want to live in an area like yours//I hear you can grow just about anything there and I would be in paradise...

Great work and what a beautiful looking fruit!

Mike

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Beautiful, mrclint. They can be a little temperamental and not the hardiest cultivar, but you've done a splendid job. Beautiful tree and beautiful fruit.

Patty S.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting . Look great and well balanced.

Steve

• pgde
    10 years ago

Hi Mrclint:

Love your pictures. Here are a few of my Pink Lemonade:

The first is after the historic freeze of 2010:

{{gwi:396142}}

Here is a picture of it from two months ago (it has grown even more now):

{{gwi:617469}}

Regards,

Peter in Tucson

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, Peter. How devastating, but what a nice recovery! And, up against a brick wall no less. I'm surprised this tree was able to recover with that must frost damage. Well done.

Patty S.

• pgde
    10 years ago

Thanks. Yes, that was a bummer of a winter. Perhaps later today I will -- in a separate post -- show the remainder of my other citrus trees, before and now so to speak. Hopefully, this winter will be warmer than in the past -- I am tired of putting up frost protection each January/February here in TUS. :-)

P.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Are you sure that is the same tree?????
    You didn't cheat? lol Amazing P.!!!
    Great job!!

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pgde, that tree looked like a total goner. It has to win the comeback tree of the year award. :)

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

Well done, Mr. Clint!

Squeezed a pink lemon just today. Good tasting fruit, and pretty.

My sister has a tree that has been steadily productive with nothing but intermittent watering.

This post was edited by yukkuri_kame on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 5:39

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Typical cold front for me. Every thing had better be inside