Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emachado19

death by neem oil?

emachado19
9 years ago

Ok so early friday morning I decided I'm going to spray some neem on my plants before heading away for the long weekend. I live in miami and it rained everyday that I was gone. Well, anyways I used the 70% neem oil concentrate and used about a teaspoon in a half gallon of water. I sprayed my avocado tree, an unknown citrus tree, navel orange tree, a valencia orange tree, and a eureka lemon tree which are all at least 4 feet high.

I also sprayed some of my smaller citrus tree. 2 persian lime trees and 2 key lime trees. Acalamando tree which is small was full of leaves and probably 50 fruits growing on it at all different stages. A meyer lemon and key lime tree (are potted together from the nursury) that were both fruiting and had recent new growth on them.
I neemed the plants at 730 AM on friday and when i got back sunday afternoon i noticed a bunch of citrus leaves around the pots.

The Meyer lemon and key lime new growth leaves have turned a darker yellow and are falling at a rapid rate. Some remain green but its scary to see how the slightest touch will make the leaves drop. The calamondin tree is also dropping leaves but holding on to all its fruit. The leaves on the calamondin are still darker green but splotchy yellow marks are on them. The avocado tree also has some burnt leaves and has dropped some leaves but not like the citrus.

So to wrap it up I am assuming I burned my plants with neem oil and now the leaves are falling off? The leaves will fall to the slightest touch yet do not appear burnt just more yellow or green with yellow blotches. When the leaves fall they leave the stem attached the branch.

Thankfully most of the other plants are doing just fine but the ones affected are worrying me. I'm pissed at myself for being the cause of death of the plants i been able to grow healthy up until now..

does this sound like typical neem oil burn to you guys? it also rained a lot this weekend and keep reading these symptoms could be from over watering. I still think its the neem that did it cause of the miami humidity but the damage is pretty overwhelming with the leaves not displaying any burn marks.

Anyways sorry to rant just felt like posting on here as some of you may have gone through something similar. I want to stop my beautiful leaves from falling off and will do anything to reverse this but i fear doing nothing is exactly what will be needed. ;[

Comments (28)

• Dtunesgw
    9 years ago

I've used Bayer's neem oil which is 70% concentrated oil, so I'll assume it's a similar type of product. Did you eyeball the amounts of oil and water? The reason I ask is because the dosage of neem I have 2-4 tablespoons per gallon. For a half gallon that would be 3-6 teaspoons, so that's not too much oil. Eye balling volume however is pretty hard to do so the amounts could be fairly off if you didn't measure.

I would think the problem is the heat/sun since it was applied at 7:30am. It must get pretty hot in FL early in the day. You might want to try spraying in the evening and hosing it off in the morning next time if the temps are really warm. I've done similar things in the past so don't beat your self up. I hope your trees pull through ok, I wouldn't give up hope. If anyone can help it'll be the other more experienced folks here.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks dtunes and yes I did eye ball it. One of the reasons im beating myself up is cause i have applied numerous times before but just always at dusk or night time. I have used a different brand then the homedepot one though. It looks like anything yellow is coming off the tree and anything darker green is still holding.. the top branches were most effected thus the most coming off.... I don't think theyll be completely nude but hopefullly they will rebound soon enough.

• serge94501
    9 years ago

Any chance there was something residual in your sprayer?

• JCitrus
    9 years ago

I like to er on the side of caution with these things.

i normally start a new product by mixing about 1/4 dose, and only spray on a few branches. If not ill effect noticed, then I do a 1/4 Strengh aplication on entire tree. If no ill effect noticed, the next aplication a few weeks later will be 1/2 strength, again testing my brew on a few leafs 24 hours before aplication, proceeded by an entire tree aplication. The following aplication will depend on rainfall and product etc. Then I feel I have a good handle on the effects I bump it up to full strength or if good results are noticed, stay with a diluted version aplied more frequently. I do this because im a total noob and have been in your position, neem oil is strong stuff. I learned the hard way not to spray anything other than a weak soap/kelp mix in the Early am. during daylight I wont spray. Perhaps slowly introducing a new substance aviods shock in some way, but My luck has improved withthis method seems like a lot of trouble but my Granpa always tought me "meassure ALOT, cut once". I see my ritual as an adaptation of that mantra. Its easy to kill your plants with kindness that why this place is so great!! your trees will be FINE! good luck!!

• JCitrus
    9 years ago

When I say no ill effect noticed, I mean wait 48 hours or so to check leaf drop or yellowing. After getting a good handle or a routine and mix, I swear can see my plants thanking me within hours of aplication, they seem to glow in the patio lights.

If im certain it will rain, I will dose a bit heavier but not much. Good luck. Please do report back

• emachado19
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you!, how long will you say the leaf drop could continue to? will leaves still fall a week after application or will the affected leaves drop within the first few days? my meyer lemon is full of green branches but quickly becoming naked.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Bullie, it's hard to know if this was a Neem chemical or physical burn. Photos would help. It is not recommended to use any hort oil if your temps are slated to go over 85 degrees. So, if that was the case for you, then it is very possible the tree sustained physical burn from the Neem. Post up some photos so we can better determine what might have happened. The tree should recover. I would try to rinse off the Neem as much as possible if your temps are over 85 degrees.

Patty S.

• robert fusco
    5 years ago

I had a similar problem after spraying two fig trees,all of the leaves dropped. What is strange is that I used the neem last year in May (San Diego) to avoid fungus damage and it worked very well? Possibly the sun was stronger this year , I sprayed at about 10 Am? I also sprayed several apricot, apple ,avocados and citrus with no problems???

• robert fusco
    5 years ago

The figs have gained a full growth of new leaves so I am guessing that the oil+ sun was the problem. All of the other trees look fine, bright green shiny leaves.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    5 years ago

The emulsifier you used may be the problem

• nikthegreek
    5 years ago

Do not spray anything at 10am..

With regards to oils they should be sprayed at dusk or in the night during low humidity cool periods. You can spray oils at dawn if it is particularly dry and not hot.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Agree with Nik. Whenever I have sprayed anything (insecticidal soap, HO, neem), I try to do it at the end of the day so it can dry overnight or preferably (if do-able) wait until an overcast day with no rain forecast for at least 24 hours but still try to do it outside of the mid-day period. Figs leaves are particularly sensitive - even without spraying. When I took mine out for the season (Robert - I'm guessing yours are planted in the ground) after it had sprouted new growth indoors under lights, I tried to let it acclimatize for at least a week in a somewhat shady area, but even with that, those "indoor" leaves still fried and then dropped. It did resprout quickly after that, but wow. lol

• nikthegreek
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Any hairy leaves (such as fig's) are sensitive to chemicals and especially to oils. The reason being the chemicals do not evaporate quickly enough. This is by nature's design for the leaves to catch and retain moisture. Spray figs only when they are dormant and leafless.

• TJ Villano
    3 years ago

Why can’t anyone write something about what to do now that it has already happened rather than telling him how he should of done it better. Suggestions and prognosis are more needed than should haves/would haves

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    3 years ago

What to do now? wait until a cool evening and hose everything thing down with cold water ......repeat. Any damaged leaves are gone and the hosings will loosen anything that has to go off and keep any remaining bugs (is that why he was using neem??) away.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    3 years ago

You need an emulsifier to remove the oil. Spray with insecticidal soap (NOT DISH-WASHING DETERGENT) then rinse with water.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

Is there a specific bug you are targeting? I tend to prefer Hort Oil Spray rather than Neem.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    3 years ago

After the fact. If the branches are green they will re leaf quickly.

Steve

• Silica
    3 years ago

Answering someone who had a problem 2014. I doubt that they will ever see it.

• Jane Johnson
    3 years ago

just read this thanks I did the same too my fern and got bad results from it but yet the leaves are still greeen.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i have moved on from these plants but still own a few lemon citrus trees. Living in south Florida I have learned that these plants require to not do anything else but Tend to them non stop. I have the eureka planted and full of leaves in the ground but no fruit. All orange citrus ventures have failed. Ponderosa lemons have flourished and a few Meyer lemon plants are still healthy but don’t give much fruit. I don’t tend to them and realize the birds are a huge threat to all citrus blossoms as they invade my yard and plants in order to clean their beaks on my citrus plants. Goodluck everyone.

• emachado19
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some OP even 6 years later will reply! If your gonna apply neem oil be very delicate and keep it to the winter months or at very least diluted during the evening hours. The oil and the sun will destroy your leaves.

• Mark Aarons
    3 years ago

We were at 8 weeks on our black bean plants beautifully making their way up the trellis, when we decided to treat the leaves with Neem oil spray. A number of holes had appeared in the leaves which we presumed to be the result of aphids. We applied the Neem spray at 6pm. Instructions on the bottle asked the user to spray so that leave was saturated, and that to be effective, entire plants needed to be sprayed. The following days, the lower leaves turned yellow and began falling off. Tested soil: pH of 7.8 (slightly alkaline), and moisture meter (which shows indications of dry, moist, and wet) has the needle pointing halfway between moist and wet. I'm thinking that the runoff of the neem oil in the soil causes inability of root system to take up iron, or nitrogen, or both. Going to add 2 teaspoons of vinegar to gallon of water for next watering, and going to spread coffee grounds to add some nitrogen to soil. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as it is disappointing to see the plants suffer this late in the season.

• Silica
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

An excellent safe alternative to neem oil is horticultural oil. Note: Never spray anything during the heat of the day during the summer months.

• Mark Aarons
    3 years ago

Thanks Silica

• Simon
    last year

did your trees die?

I spayed neem oil on my peach trees, the branches are turning red with burn and leaves are dropping off

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year

I hate neem oil for anything I grow outside and anything in bud and flower stage. Knocks the heck out of them and the bugs.